Xbox 360 Extender Connection Fails on First Attempt

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
PeteS457

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 Extender Connection Fails on First Attempt

Post by PeteS457 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Thought I'd run this by the forum members. I have a Media Center with one Xbox 360 extender on a separate floor. My home is wired with Cat 5b and gigabit routers and hubs are installed for home networking. Media Center and Xbox both have wired connection.

My problem is that when I turn on my AVR and TV with my Harmony One remote (my Xbox is always on/sleep), the Xbox wakes up and eventually after a minute or so of trying to connect to Media Center, it returns a connection failed message. (This happens about 80-90% of the time now. It used not to be so bad.) However, if I just turn off the AVR and TV and start the whole process over, the second time the Xbox returns from sleep and starts up, it works properly and connects right away to Media Center. This has been going on for about a year (although it's gotten a bit worse over time I think) and I've basically just accepted the issue as an aggravation. But I'd like to ask around and see if any members have some advices/recommendations for resolving/troubleshooting the problem. I hate having guests over and it takes a failed connection and two minutes or more just to start up Media Center and go to Live TV.

Other than this, my home network seems to have no other problems and the Xbox networking test routine always returns the highest bar rating for network performance. Thanks for any ideas.

werds

Post by werds » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:41 pm

PeteS457 wrote:Thought I'd run this by the forum members. I have a Media Center with one Xbox 360 extender on a separate floor. My home is wired with Cat 5b and gigabit routers and hubs are installed for home networking. Media Center and Xbox both have wired connection.

My problem is that when I turn on my AVR and TV with my Harmony One remote (my Xbox is always on/sleep), the Xbox wakes up and eventually after a minute or so of trying to connect to Media Center, it returns a connection failed message. (This happens about 80-90% of the time now. It used not to be so bad.) However, if I just turn off the AVR and TV and start the whole process over, the second time the Xbox returns from sleep and starts up, it works properly and connects right away to Media Center. This has been going on for about a year (although it's gotten a bit worse over time I think) and I've basically just accepted the issue as an aggravation. But I'd like to ask around and see if any members have some advices/recommendations for resolving/troubleshooting the problem. I hate having guests over and it takes a failed connection and two minutes or more just to start up Media Center and go to Live TV.

Other than this, my home network seems to have no other problems and the Xbox networking test routine always returns the highest bar rating for network performance. Thanks for any ideas.
I had a similar issue with my Xbox in the master bedroom and it failing to connect in the morning. It is also second floor and the HTPC is first floor. I ended up resolving the issue by setting my HTPC downstairs to reboot at 3am every day. Since I have done that I have not suffered the connection issue in the morning anymore (just created a task in task scheduler basically) Not sure if that will or will not help though :(

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Is your PC set to sleep/resume? If so, then the XBox needs to wake the computer by sending a WOL packet. It could be that your PC is taking too long to resume from sleep.

PeteS457

Post by PeteS457 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. No, I have never set my HTPC to sleep/resume; it's on 24x7. Although you have gotten me to think about something....I have recently set media center to use the media center screensaver after 2 minutes. I will turn that off and see if that makes a difference.

As for rebooting the PC each night improving the problem, I did check and noticed that the Optimization setting was turned off. As I understand it, turning Optimization on will restart the Media Center service each day at the user-defined time (4:00AM by default). So I will also test that and see if that helps also.

Thanks to you both for giving me some ideas to check out.