Netflix raising prices again.. Time to adjust your plan?

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix raising prices again.. Time to adjust your plan?

Post by newfiend » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Netflix once again is raising prices for their DVD + Streaming plans from 9.99 a month to @ 15.00 a month..
Read more here http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/12/technol ... ndefined,0_

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:56 pm

I like Netflix' strategy. Raise the DVD/Blu-ray plan prices and hope people will start switching to the cheap streaming-only option. If they keep on, eventually they'll be able to drive those customers away from the mail plans and Netflix can abandon that part of the business and focus solely on the streaming side of things.

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Hopefully someone will come up with an addon for Amazon streaming, then I'll just dump Netflix. Maybe keep Netflix for a DVD only option but, I'm find less and less I want on DVD since the DVD release window for Netflix is no longer the same as the retail release.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:00 am

I'm canceling my membership. The hike is outrageous.

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:13 am

That's really too bad. Netflix was like the only remaining good way to get new-release movies. All the redboxes have to wait months to release, all the regular video stores cost $5 a pop. I'll definitely be cancelling the disc part come september.

Amazon streaming, though is becoming more attractive. Especially with a $50 Student Prime membership.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:17 am

makryger wrote:That's really too bad. Netflix was like the only remaining good way to get new-release movies. All the redboxes have to wait months to release, all the regular video stores cost $5 a pop. I'll definitely be cancelling the disc part come september.

Amazon streaming, though is becoming more attractive. Especially with a $50 Student Prime membership.
Their goal is to get people to cancel that part of the service. I like having the streaming on my phone but I'm irritated at the 60% hike. That's on top of the increase a few months ago. Screw 'em. :)

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:22 am

So basically, if I cancel my service, I'm doing exactly what netflix wants. If I keep my service, I am giving netflix my money. Lose/Lose!
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'm going to do something. Streaming only is reasonable price wise but selection wise doesn't make much sense. Disc only isn't the value it could be due to the latency in US mail, the quantity per month per dollar isn't better than most other services even at the current price level. If streaming only is truly what they want then that may be the way to go in hopes for a better catalog. I am not going to simply surrender to the higher price level, Netflix will be seeing LESS money from me.

spanner

Post by spanner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:21 pm

I agree and Its not just a better catalog issue for me, I watch streaming to catch up on some tv shows, but until they have a decent 5.1 audio track i much prefer my movies on disk especially the lossless formats on bluray.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm looking forward to Netflix Canada hiking the price up more than the US for an even crappier selection of streamed material.

-Thanks but no thanks Netflix!
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:53 pm

mcewinter wrote: Streaming only is reasonable price wise but selection wise doesn't make much sense.
I agree. The selection is dismal. Until the selection improves, I will be canceling the streaming component of my plan.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct