Repeated Optional Media Download

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
nuclearxp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Repeated Optional Media Download

Post by nuclearxp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:52 am

I've recently set up a wmc7 box to feed my three 360 extend era both TV and some DVD rips. To keep the family from booting me out of my games I set up each console to not sign in my xbox live acct and go right to wmc Unfortunately it now seems I have to re download the optional media update on each console every time they're restarted.

A quick Google search seems to indicate if I downloaded it from my xbox live account that'll lead to problems when not signed in. It was suggested to create a generic xbox live silver account for each console so each one can stay signed in with an acct that downloaded the update. Any comments ?

AdamS

Post by AdamS » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:36 am

Alright, so you're wondering why you have to constantly re-download and install the optional media update in order to watch your downloaded avi's, xvid's, etc? The truth is that you only need to download the optional media update once. Once you've downloaded it, at that point, in order to watch your downloaded avi's, xvid's, etc., you just need to make sure you are logged into Xbox live prior to trying to play them. If you have already downloaded and installed the update, as long as you are logged into Xbox live you will not be required to "download and install" the optional media update again. I know this, because it drove me bonkers the first few weeks I had my Ceton InfiniTV/cablecard setup running to three XBOX 360 extenders throughout the house.

nuclearxp

Post by nuclearxp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:28 am

Do I have to be logged in with the account I downloaded it with, or any account with xbox live? This could be a problem for me because I only have one live account and that's the one I game with, so nobody else can watch a movie while I online playing games?

nuclearxp

Post by nuclearxp » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:34 pm

Just a follow-up. I confirmed, per AdamS's statement, that if we just created a 'dummy' xbox live basic (not gold) account on each xbox extender and have it sign-in automatically, we no longer get prompted to download the optional media add-in. This is a pretty annoying caveat.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:56 pm

I got hit with this last night after I set my xbox up to boot into live tv. Tonite I'm going to see if setting it back helps. I can't even find the supposed 'optional download' anywhere to install. All updates were done days ago.
I only have a free account but maybe I need to set my xbox to log in automatically first??????

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:37 am

Auto log in doesn't make a difference, the update message is still there. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Can't watch live tv at all. This sucks!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 am

something's wrong. Auto login makes all the difference.

Plus, the optional media download has no bearing on your ability to watch live or recorded TV.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Success! I made a new profile in xbox and downloaded the update again after logging in to Xbox live and 'requesting' the download. A few minutes later is appeared under games and under the 'O' alphabet. I isntalled the update, set the new profile to auto login, rebooted the xbox and it went right to live tv.
Finally.