Ceton Echo Questions

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
demaximis

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Echo Questions

Post by demaximis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:53 pm

After about six months of beta testing my HTPC/extender setup, I went "live" this fall TV season, and cut the Tivo cord. Fortunately, the teething pains have been minimal with the wife & kids (though lots of little issues needed to be ironed out -- wife likes to listen to tv in bed via wireless headphones = purchase of expensive new wireless headphones with optical input, but I digress). We use xboxes as extenders throughout the house, and are generally pleased. However, it looks like the new Ceton Echo will solve at least one of my current gripes with the xbox -- fan noise. Even though we have slims, the wife sometimes falls asleep with the tv & xbox on (see note above), and I wake up in the middle of the night when I hear the xbox fan running (it is audible when the TV volume is off). Anyway, I know Ceton folks sometimes participate on these boards, so I thought I would pose some questions here, before I plunk down my cash (and I would be quite happy to do so, if the Echo provides a compelling alternative to the xbox). Great product in the Infinitv 4, too (love mine, though I would have loved to purchase, or better yet, trade in for an Infinitiv 6... ;) ;) )

So, question #1:

While it appears from the pictures on Ceton's website that the Echo does not have a fan (looks pretty tiny), can it be confirmed that it runs silently?

Question #2:

The xbox takes too long to boot, imho, when being fired up to watch tv. What is the boot sequence for the Echo and how long does it take, at least compared to the xbox?

Question #3:

Will the Echo provide (or eventually provide) reasonably integrated access (preferably through a wife/kid-proof interface) to 3rd-party streaming platforms, like netflix or amazon prime?

Question #4:

Will the Echo require specific software/codecs to be installed on the HTPC (for access or for playing different video formats)?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:21 pm

demaximis wrote:The xbox takes too long to boot, imho, when being fired up to watch tv. What is the boot sequence for the Echo and how long does it take, at least compared to the xbox?
I use a DMA2100 in the bedroom - no fan, and we just leave it on all the time and just turn the TV off. It only draws 7 or 8 watts, and it's "instant on". From the Ceton announcement
the Echo consumes about 90% less electricity than a typical cable DVR box or an Xbox 360 running as an extender
which sounds like Echo could also be just left on (though I think I'd prefer a 3 second boot time with Wake on LAN!)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Power consumption is 5 watts, size is roughly 4x4 and 0.8in high. I'm not seeing room for a fan here of any kind.

As for boot sequence, I, too, have a question related to that. Is the Echo like the Roku in that it has no power switch, and is always on and always connects/reconnects to the MC box? I ask that because, hallelujah, I see no power button.

This would be outstanding. Turn the TV on and you're there. My kids would love that.

Another question would be, if I like the remote control can I buy that separately and control my main TV/HTPC? 'Cuz a good remote is hard to find. Conversely, if I don't like it can I use my existing already programmed Harmony with the Echo? Or use my existing XBox Universal Media Remote? Does the Echo use the same remote commands as XBox? That would be cool.

And as easy as Netflix has made it to be a streaming partner, I would *hope* that there was room in the Echo business model to put that in--if not now, maybe as a software update. Who knows. One can hope. If that's the case, put me down for two.

Although I would have to get rid of my 1986 Panasonic TV in the basement, that's rock solid but has only RF input. Right now I'm using XBox plus Roku, both with composite out, to RF modulator and out to the TV. It works, and it's fine and all, and I have no *real* reason to switch it out, but he who dies with the most toys wins.

werds

Post by werds » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:50 pm

I am on a similar hunt for answers. Is Netflix available on the Echo itself? Are the same codec restrictions in play, in other words I have all my movies in VOB format is there a way to stream them from my main htpc without having to convert over 100+ movies and children shows to a new format...

I am currently using 2 Xboxes as extenders and need compelling reasons to switch to an Echo... But for now the Xbox advantages are that it has netflix and Xfinity on Demand, and that it has a DVD drive so any movies on my main htpc just need to be burned onto a dvdrw for playback (minor issue but less time intensive than trying to find a decent and free conversion to do large batches!)

I really wanted to get an Echo Q combination but now I am stuck trying to justify the expense of the Echo and praying for a 6 tuner pci-e device to come out soon...

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:09 pm

I really wanted to get an Echo Q combination but now I am stuck trying to justify the expense of the Echo and praying for a 6 tuner pci-e device to come out soon...
I am in the same boat as you Werds, and it has made me strongly reconsider getting an Echo. The xbox works fine for now so I need to see something from it that is an absolute must. CEC will be good, but I am not sure if that works with the LG simlink which should be based on the protocol. Otherwise, gig-E is not game changer so it will come down to third party app support for me.

Eager to see the results of the beta, but my guess is if I have to exit out of the interface into a browser I will just stick with an xbox.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:11 pm

[moved to Ceton Echo]
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:37 pm

I was hoping someone could come back to adam1991's questions on the remote control. I am interested about that! Plus, can you use it to turn on/off a television? That would be the only non-standard feature I would hope to be able to program on the remote.

Another question - which may be just due to my lack of experience with extenders... Where do recorded programs go? On the Media Center PC feeding the Echo? Or is there a way to send them to a NAS? I assume it is to the PC, since you can't record to a NAS with a MCE PC...

Thanks!

Phil Seastrand

Post by Phil Seastrand » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:42 pm

adam1991 wrote:Another question would be, if I like the remote control can I buy that separately and control my main TV/HTPC? 'Cuz a good remote is hard to find. Conversely, if I don't like it can I use my existing already programmed Harmony with the Echo? Or use my existing XBox Universal Media Remote? Does the Echo use the same remote commands as XBox? That would be cool.
I can't answer if the remote can be purchased separately, but I can confirm that the remote uses the same IR codes as WMC. So your Harmony should work fine. I don't know what the XBox uses, so no help there.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:Another question - which may be just due to my lack of experience with extenders... Where do recorded programs go? On the Media Center PC feeding the Echo?
An Extender is basically just another screen on the PC that's feeding it - you only have one PC, running a single copy of Media Center, and the rules for what it can or can't do don't change.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 pm

adam1991 wrote:Another question would be, if I like the remote control can I buy that separately and control my main TV/HTPC? 'Cuz a good remote is hard to find. Conversely, if I don't like it can I use my existing already programmed Harmony with the Echo? Or use my existing XBox Universal Media Remote? Does the Echo use the same remote commands as XBox? That would be cool.
The remote included with Echo is a standard WMC remote, and a Harmony (or other remote) programmed with WMC codes will control Echo. If you fall in love with our remote and decide you cannot continue living your life without another one, I'm sure our RMA department can sell you one as an Echo spare part.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:16 pm

erkotz wrote:
The remote included with Echo is a standard WMC remote, and a Harmony (or other remote) programmed with WMC codes will control Echo. If you fall in love with our remote and decide you cannot continue living your life without another one, I'm sure our RMA department can sell you one as an Echo spare part.
:lolno: