Official Formats Supported

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 pm

^ DTS won't pass through toslink.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:46 pm

STC wrote:^ DTS won't pass through toslink.
Not true. I used to use Toslink exclusively (before I got a new AVR). My AVR would light up with the DTS logo whenever I played a DVD that had DTS audio.

EDIT: You may be thinking about DTS-HD. In that case, you would be correct.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Motz wrote:Moca:
The Echo supports MoCa adapters. We plan to introduce our own adapter in the future, however a Ceton MoCa adapter will not be available at launch.
It sounds like this is not going to be a plug-in module for the Echo, but a normal MoCa adapter. I actually like this idea better as it will allow the Ethernet port on the MoCa adapter to be connected to a switch and shared with other devices.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:06 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
STC wrote:^ DTS won't pass through toslink.
Not true. I used to use Toslink exclusively (before I got a new AVR). My AVR would light up with the DTS logo whenever I played a DVD that had DTS audio.

EDIT: You may be thinking about DTS-HD. In that case, you would be correct.
Right, DTS and DD5.1 are able to be carried over S/PDIF, both optical and coax. So is stereo PCM. What cannot be carried are the lossless DTS and Dolby formats and multichannel PCM.

That said, my Sony TV won't pass DTS over its optical out. I remember when I connected a DVD player to it with HDMI and ran optical from TV to the receiver, I wasn't getting DTS. But that's a limitation of the TV, not S/PDIF.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:22 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:You may be thinking about DTS-HD. In that case, you would be correct.
Yes I was. You are referring to 96/24 or -ES I presume?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:31 pm

STC wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:You may be thinking about DTS-HD. In that case, you would be correct.
Yes I was. You are referring to 96/24 or -ES I presume?
All of the above, except HD.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Sammy2 wrote:... One thing I am not going to do is mess up my HTPC functionality for the ECHO. I'll run it off my PC using Haali splitter if I have to but that splits the DVR/PVR to my PC so it now isn't a whole home solution. ...
How does Haali Splitter cause yo to not have a whole home solution?
Haali has to run on WMC host and the extenders connect to that. What am I missing?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:34 pm

If it can pass dts and/or dts/HD-MA through HDMI that would be cool too!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Skybolt wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:... One thing I am not going to do is mess up my HTPC functionality for the ECHO. I'll run it off my PC using Haali splitter if I have to but that splits the DVR/PVR to my PC so it now isn't a whole home solution. ...
How does Haali Splitter cause yo to not have a whole home solution?
Haali has to run on WMC host and the extenders connect to that. What am I missing?
Because I use LAV in Media Browser with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema with MadVR for frame rate switching to 23.976fps. This then releases the codecs back to native for WMC and 60fps LiveTV playback. I've had issues with breaking LiveTV using plugin codecs in the native WMC player. I'm not going through that again in my HTPC because it is working great right now. I'm not going to break that set up to get the Echo to stream mkv's but rather will use the Echo as an extender to my PC in which I don't use LAV for HD Audio playback or frame rate switching as it isn't in my home theater. If I extend my PC to the Echo it won't be connected to the same PVR/DVR in the HTPC but rather to my PC hence it isn't a "whole home" solution.

Now if Ceton would be so kind as to ship my beta Echo with Saturday delivery I can start testing it this weekend rather than next. With my work schedule and commute there is no time during the week to do this..

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Thank Sammy2, I wasn't thinking in term of that. It makes sense now.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 pm

jasongrimme wrote:
Motz wrote:Attached is my at home sample of most of my MKV files that I swap to m2ts:
@Motz, what are you using the 'swap' your MKV files to m2ts?
Skybolt wrote:
Motz wrote:... my process that I use for my own personal collection (for the last 3 years and even before I started working for ceton) is to do the container swap, the only thing I touch is DTS audio which it converts to AC3 since WMC doesn't support DTS natively.... Attached is my at home sample of most of my MKV files that I swap to m2ts:
Thanks Motz, a little clairification can go a long way.

Can you explain what you mean by "Container Swap", do you convert the MKV container to somthing else or re-process the MKV contents?

Thanks,
Skybolt
So when I run mkv2vob (http://www.mkv2vob.com/) (http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2010/10/ ... h-mkv2vob/ in this i say .mpg but i use .m2ts) .... soo even though my settings are set to Transcoding Codec: x264 (slow) it is already an H264 so it doesn't need to transcode anything as my MKVs already are in this format. So all it is doing is transferring the video to an m2ts container. Audio is transcoded to ac3 though always
I Write, Code, and Tweet

cncb

Post by cncb » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:27 pm

How is it that DTS is not supported after this official press release?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/ceto ... t-to-supp/

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:11 pm

cncb wrote:How is it that DTS is not supported after this official press release?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/ceto ... t-to-supp/
now that gets me even more excited! Thanks for posting! WOoot! :D
Edit: although.. that's an old post by Ben.. and things could have changed... but I hope not.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:30 pm

IIRC, Ceton previously stated that while DTS is on the map, it would not be implemented until after initial release.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:40 pm

richard1980 wrote:IIRC, Ceton previously stated that while DTS is on the map, it would not be implemented until after initial release.
I guess the good news about this being a new and actively developed extender is that supoport can be added at any time. I'm glad that DTS is on the road map. :thumbup:

cncb

Post by cncb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 pm

newfiend wrote:Edit: although.. that's an old post by Ben.. and things could have changed... but I hope not.
I guess things changed but it is not just a blog post with speculation. It is an official press release from DTS that you can read at the bottom. I don't understand how you can make an announcement like this if it is not a done deal. What's to keep them from making a bunch of (official) false promises in order to whip up excitement for a new product?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:44 pm

No license is required for DTS passthrough so I would think that would come to fruition even if on board DTS decoding does not. What audio hardware have you got to plug into the Echo?

cncb

Post by cncb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:17 pm

In my case 2 of my 3 locations only have analog amps but I might be persuaded to get inexpensive digital solutions if DTS passthrough was guaranteed.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Ok, so I am a SageTv refugee, and it looks like I will have to convert a whole bunch of movies to play in WMC.
I see alot about "M2TS", is this the perfered way to view ripped content wiht 7MC? Also what is the best converter/ripper out there?

Thanks,

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm

I've been using mkv not m2ts but I've seen that m2ts works in the Echo. I'm not converting 20TB of mkv's to m2ts just to play them through the Echo.