Xfinity on the Echo?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
bobbob

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by bobbob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:25 pm

tbh i'm amazed that no-one has brought out a fanless brick for the slim.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:44 pm

I don't really notice my slim. When i first turn it on i can hear it spin up (we-we sound), but its easy to tune out any fan nose there might be.
I guess maybe its just from years of practice tuning out nagging family members.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 pm

lithium630 wrote:I will take your word for it that it is too loud in YOUR house. That does not mean it's the case in mine. I'll bet for every person that complains about the noise, there are at least as many who hear no noise.
Does that mean you'll offer a money back guarantee to someone who buys an XBox on your recommendation and then finds that it's too loud?

Personally, even if it was completely silent, I don't want an extender that draws more power than my HTPC.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 pm

bobbob wrote:tbh i'm amazed that no-one has brought out a fanless brick for the slim.
Yup, spend $200 for an extender, and then $40 to "fix" it.

What a bargain!

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 pm

foxwood wrote:
lithium630 wrote:I will take your word for it that it is too loud in YOUR house. That does not mean it's the case in mine. I'll bet for every person that complains about the noise, there are at least as many who hear no noise.
Does that mean you'll offer a money back guarantee to someone who buys an XBox on your recommendation and then finds that it's too loud?

Personally, even if it was completely silent, I don't want an extender that draws more power than my HTPC.
I do not work for Microsoft, and I did not say nobody would ever hear a sound under any circumstances. I don't understand your point.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:13 pm

lithium630 wrote:I don't understand your point.
My point is that the fact that you can't hear your Xbox is irrelevant to anyone else. By all means tell people "go ahead, take your chances, you might be lucky and get a quiet one like mine". But to suggest that anyone who finds that their Xbox is unacceptably loud must be "anal" is not good enough.

Nobody in their right mind would buy an XBox as an extender if there was any choice in the matter. It's a power hog, it's got a fan, you're paying for totally unnecessary and unwanted hardware if all you want is an extender. The only possible nice thing I could say about an XBox as an extender in the Ceton forums is that it allows Ceton to set a price of $180 for the Echo, rather than the $60 they would have to charge if they were competing with a Roku (which has all the hardware you actually need for an Extender).

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:33 pm

foxwood wrote:
lithium630 wrote:I don't understand your point.
My point is that the fact that you can't hear your Xbox is irrelevant to anyone else. By all means tell people "go ahead, take your chances, you might be lucky and get a quiet one like mine". But to suggest that anyone who finds that their Xbox is unacceptably loud must be "anal" is not good enough.

Nobody in their right mind would buy an XBox as an extender if there was any choice in the matter. It's a power hog, it's got a fan, you're paying for totally unnecessary and unwanted hardware if all you want is an extender. The only possible nice thing I could say about an XBox as an extender in the Ceton forums is that it allows Ceton to set a price of $180 for the Echo, rather than the $60 they would have to charge if they were competing with a Roku (which has all the hardware you actually need for an Extender).
I offered my OPINION, the same way your offered yours. That's what people do in forums. You seem to have difficulty understanding any point of view other than your own. I did not say people are anal because they don't like the noise. I said they are anal because they argue semantics.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:54 pm

I can understand your point of view, but as I said, the fact that your Xbox is quiet is irrelevant - it's ludicrous to suggest that just because you got lucky with a quiet XBox, anyone else who points out to a prospective Xbox purchaser that noise might be an issue is being anal.

You're the one who seems to have a problem accepting that some XBox slims are unacceptably loud, just because yours isn't.

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:57 pm

lithium630 wrote:I offered my OPINION, the same way your offered yours. That's what people do in forums. You seem to have difficulty understanding any point of view other than your own. I did not say people are anal because they don't like the noise. I said they are anal because they argue semantics.
I think the real problem isn't that you offered your opinion... it is that you expressed satisfaction with a product you acquired. Internet forums aren't for voicing opinions... they're for griping and complaining about stuff. Get with it, man! :lol:

I suspect if you mentioned that it wasn't too loud for your needs (neither is mine) but also added that it was too black, too heavy, too ugly, or too slow to get into WMC, then you wouldn't have heard anyone say anything.

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 pm

I have an old white Xbox in the bedroom it's the fan that puts me to sleep. :D

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:45 pm

foxwood wrote:I can understand your point of view, but as I said, the fact that your Xbox is quiet is irrelevant - it's ludicrous to suggest that just because you got lucky with a quiet XBox, anyone else who points out to a prospective Xbox purchaser that noise might be an issue is being anal.

You're the one who seems to have a problem accepting that some XBox slims are unacceptably loud, just because yours isn't.
I'm sorry you're right. You don't like xboxs as extenders so everyone should listen to you. Your OPINION is right, everyone else is wrong. Feel better now?

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:45 pm

hmmurdock wrote:
lithium630 wrote:I offered my OPINION, the same way your offered yours. That's what people do in forums. You seem to have difficulty understanding any point of view other than your own. I did not say people are anal because they don't like the noise. I said they are anal because they argue semantics.
I think the real problem isn't that you offered your opinion... it is that you expressed satisfaction with a product you acquired. Internet forums aren't for voicing opinions... they're for griping and complaining about stuff. Get with it, man! :lol:

I suspect if you mentioned that it wasn't too loud for your needs (neither is mine) but also added that it was too black, too heavy, too ugly, or too slow to get into WMC, then you wouldn't have heard anyone say anything.

I have noticed a trend. :)