[Services] Windows 8 Pro Beta Discussion

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
mikinho

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mikinho » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:21 pm

DNS replication...try the above instead.

dgre057

Post by dgre057 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:35 am

So far so good! Seems to be working well for me.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:35 am

It installed and is working fine for me so far. Thank you so much for getting this out, I really appreciate it.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:38 am

Thank you both for the quick feedback--it is greatly appreciated. I should have another build in a few more hours w/ some Movie Library fixes and then a bigger build next week with new functionality.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:24 am

I can't wait to see what's next. I use MyMovies for my ripped DVD Movie and TV Shows. They are stored on a WHS machine (MediaSmart Server) in DVD folder format. It would be cool if the Companion App could display those in the Movie Collection section.

WindowsHTPC

Post by WindowsHTPC » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:05 am

I installed it today as well... win8. some things work... some don't... the remote function isn't working for me yet. I only played around with it for a few minutes today (on my nexus 7) but it's exciting that some features work. The guide seemed to be working. I was able to add shows to record and change series options. I will say the config screen on the HTPC in the inital setup was pretty confusing... I kept everything at defaults for now. I like settings I can tweak but perhaps they should be buried a bit. Then again most users are experts. I am used to creating apps for the unwashed masses where you have to use 4th grade vocab. Thanks for all your hard work and I hope you wife is doing better.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:32 am

WindowsHTPC wrote:I installed it today as well... win8. some things work... some don't... the remote function isn't working for me yet.
That's weird, my remote is fully functional. I've yet to find anything that isn't working. Lucky me :D

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:52 am

RealCodeGuy wrote:
WindowsHTPC wrote:I installed it today as well... win8. some things work... some don't... the remote function isn't working for me yet.
That's weird, my remote is fully functional. I've yet to find anything that isn't working. Lucky me :D
Might need a simple reboot. After that test out the remote.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:56 pm

I installed, remote wasn't working. Went for the reboot option as James advises....
Oh dear all my channels and scheduled recordings have gone!!
That's not a good start......
@mikinho any idea why channel and recording back-ups don't work with WMC8???
Lee

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:03 pm

All of them were gone from WMC? I have not seen this before on any of the W8 machines here in the office
I Write, Code, and Tweet

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:46 pm

Yep, live tv setup in rec tv as if it had re-set itself...
I'm off to bed anyhow!
Lee

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi Lee,

Sounds like you may have had a corrupt EPG DB. Did you by chance import it originally from W7? I know there is a bug in W8's import.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I did have a couple of warnings regarding the epg data, figured it was a bug akin to the "no signal"
Issue. Anyway had a little play today. Some things work fine, home key doesn't launch mediacenter. I'm going to assume that's cos I've remapped it to the start menu...
Scheduled recordings works great, and series management.
Is it possible or will it be in the future to connect remotely via a dynamic dns? looking for that for scheduled recordings....
Hope your missus is picking up btw..
Lee

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Monica is doing much better, today was the first day she could drive a car w/o pain.

For TGB launching Media Center, it wasn't in that build. It will be in the next build.

You can already use dynamic DNS. You just have to manually edit the entry and replace the IP address with your hostname.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi mate
Glad to hear the missus is picking up..
Just had a look at dyndns functionality that's great, will it support wake on Lan in future releases?
I'm a yorkshireman U may be unaware at your end of the pond, but we like to watch our pennies!! Lol...
Lee

mattlevan

Post by mattlevan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:33 pm

First off, thanks for this beta W8 Ceton Companion release! It's a pleasure to tangibly experience the hard work being done to support the few WMC8 users that are out there. Thanks.

The remote works fine for me. I would very much enjoy a num-pad button in the remote so I can manually enter a channel, too.

I am able to schedule recordings and record shows in real time with no problem.

I am able to sift through my scheduled and previous recordings with no problem.

I am able to sift through the guide with no problem.

I am able to watch analog channels with no problem.

HOWEVER, once I install the BETA Ceton Companion config service on my Windows 8 computer, WMC STOPS receiving TV signal for every channel except the analogs (FOX, CBS, ABC, etc.). This is definitely NOT good. I just wanted to let you know about this issue. Hopefully you are already aware!

Thanks again and best consciousness in your development. Oh, and I hope your wife is feeling better, too.

Matt

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:42 pm

What tuner(s) do you have?

Does this occur using a normal remote and\or on-screen EPG or just tuning via Companion App?

We haven't had any report of this issue yet and I'm definitely not seeing it.

mattlevan

Post by mattlevan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi mikinho,

I have a Ceton InfiniTV 4. I do not have a normal remote. When I have the Ceton Companion BETA installed on Windows 8, none of the channels I described in my previous post work via any channel-changing method (EPG, Companion App, or remote [I don't have one]).

My family's cable service is provided by Cox Communications. To setup my InfiniTV 4, they installed an MTR (looks like a cable modem). The coax from the house goes into the MTR and then a coax comes out of the MTR and into the InfiniTV 4. Without the MTR connected, I do not receive any channels besides the national networks (CBS, FOX, ABC, etc.). Cox Communications calls these "premium" channels "switch channels."

It is odd that a simple managing app like Ceton Companion messes with the switch channels.

Thanks for your quick reply.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:38 pm

I don't have switched digital video (SDV) in my area but I have several Tuning Adapters plugged into my system and don't see any conflict.

Have you rebooted? Is the "Ceton Tuning Adapter" service running? If you open Ceton Diagnostics do you have any red marks?

mattlevan

Post by mattlevan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:19 pm

mikinho wrote:I don't have switched digital video (SDV) in my area but I have several Tuning Adapters plugged into my system and don't see any conflict.

Have you rebooted? Is the "Ceton Tuning Adapter" service running? If you open Ceton Diagnostics do you have any red marks?
OK, after a reboot, all of the channels are working again and I'm able to use all features of the WP Companion app. Awesome work. I should've tried rebooting to begin with. :)