infiniTV & macroblocking

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
lurch66

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by lurch66 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:43 am

JazJon wrote:At my old place I had macroblocking and swapping the cablecard for a new one fixed it. How many cablecards have you gone through? (more than one?) The 6dB (right part) of the Tap is the stronger signal. The straight through 2.x dB signal is the weaker one. You should try to use a regular 50/50 splitter as well.
just a heads up you are incorrect on the stronger single port on the slitter. The number on the slitter indicates the amount of loss on that port. The 6 or tap leg indicates 6 dBmV of loss and the through leg looses about 2.4dBmV so it is the stronger leg. A 50/50 2 way slitter looses 3.5 dBmV per port.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:38 am

lurch66 wrote:
JazJon wrote:At my old place I had macroblocking and swapping the cablecard for a new one fixed it. How many cablecards have you gone through? (more than one?) The 6dB (right part) of the Tap is the stronger signal. The straight through 2.x dB signal is the weaker one. You should try to use a regular 50/50 splitter as well.
just a heads up you are incorrect on the stronger single port on the slitter. The number on the slitter indicates the amount of loss on that port. The 6 or tap leg indicates 6 dBmV of loss and the through leg looses about 2.4dBmV so it is the stronger leg. A 50/50 2 way slitter looses 3.5 dBmV per port.
Thanks, I asked my friend that used to do DirecTV installs and he said it was the other way around. Hmmmm

magno101

Post by magno101 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 am

Here's something interesting.

The macroblocking isn't present when I use the HDHomeRun QuickTV utility, but when I use the ClearQAM channel in WMC it is present. Could this be something with Media Center?

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

magno101 wrote:Here's something interesting.

The macroblocking isn't present when I use the HDHomeRun QuickTV utility, but when I use the ClearQAM channel in WMC it is present. Could this be something with Media Center?
I was just watching KENSDT-105 through the Ceton over an extender and an Avermedia 780 using GB-PVR on another machine. Both exhibited the same disruption at the same instant in the program stream. They appear different: GP-PVR does not breakup but hold the last good frame while the audio drops out, while the Ceton through WMC displays it as macroblocking. The Avermedia 780 through WMC displays it as macroblocking. It would appear that WMC is just passing a garbage signal through while other applications may not update the stream during the disrupted frames.

magno101

Post by magno101 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:41 am

So, they sent out two guys this time.

They replaced the underground run and fixed a splice on the outside of the house, but the problem remains.

As this is the third time that they've come out in a month, and things are still unresolved, things are being escalated. These two guys were really interested in the issue and seemed genuinely concerned and curious to know what is happening. One of them was going to check with a buddy of his at the plant to see if they might know what could cause such an issue. They both agree that there is a problem and that it's not an isolated issue at my location.

I also mentioned to them that there are others in the area with the same issue so that got them thinking bigger picture as well.

I can tell you that after they were done, my signal levels look a bit better (Thanks to the new undergound run). http://c4b031ded014a6921264-f3508763e6e ... -03-04.txt

Unfortunately, as I stated before, the issue persists. It may be placebo effect but I feel like it happens a little less frequently. Once I get the follow-up call from the manager-type person I'm going to get a case number from them and share it with those of you in the San Antonio Area that have the same issue. I'm hopeful that with more of us piling on them we can get things fixed.

If there's any more information that any of y'all would like for me to provide at this point just let me know. I'm happy to help.

JamesW

Post by JamesW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Ive had my Ceton card for a while now (bought it at $399...) and I've had a constant macroblocking issue (the problem with the "line" of pixels going across the screen). Hovever, in my case, it gets so bad that some shows are almost unwatchable. I experience the macroblocking about every 30 to 60 seconds. The problem does not exist when watching TV through a TWC provided cable box.
I had the Ceton card in one PC and experienced the issue so I figured instead of trying to track down the problem, I'd build a whole new PC (Intel i5, 8GB RAM, nice Nvidia video card, SSD system drive, SATA3 7200RPM recording drive, etc.). I basically built a pretty high-end gaming PC. The specs are WAY beyond what should be needed... I'm still having the exact same problem.
I've had Time Warner out to the house so many times that the techs all know me. The last time they were there, they replaced the line from the pole to the house with brand-new RG7 and replaced ALL cabling and the splitter (My setup is very simple. I have one splitter that splits off 4 times: to the Ceton card, a Hauppauge analog tuner, the Cisco TA and a cable modem). My signals are all close to "perfect" (usually ~3.0dBmV with a 36 SNR).
Before anyone throws some of the new "fixes" at me, I have no MOCA devices and the issue still happens with all 4g devices turned off. My motherboard has onboard bluetooth and I've even disabled that. There's no wireless LAN card in the PC.
After going through the wringer with Ceton support (wireshark after wireshark, diagnostic file after diagnostic file), I've finally had enough. They keep telling me that the problem can't possibly be related to the Ceton card but, I've replaced every single other component and I'm still experiencing the same problem. The ONLY constant has been the Ceton tuner.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm fresh out of ideas. Thanks all!
(If anyone from Ceton wants to look into this, my support ticket is FKH-420-61558)

[Moderator note: topic merged]

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Did you try using the beta firmware? I did and that fixed the whole thing for me. No problems since upgrading.

JamesW

Post by JamesW » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 pm

I tried it and no change. Ceton support actually had me roll back.

Teddyboy16

Post by Teddyboy16 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:34 am

I was stupid and upgraded to the latest beta firmware. It's been a complete regression for me. I have terrible macroblocking on msnbc channel 1023 on cox. I used to almost never have macroblocking. It's very apparent on the HD channels now. Channel changing is slow to the point that it's not able to tune quickly enough to start a recording. Prior to this upgrade I only used to get the no signal message occasionally, and only one message would appear, but it would still tune into and record the show. This has been a complete regression for my tuner. :( guess I'll have to put in a support ticket. Maybe they can roll me back. Unfortunately I can't remember what the firmware revision was, but it was te last revision that had the ceton tuner plugin.

JamesW

Post by JamesW » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Ok, now I'm getting ticked... The last contact I had with Ceton support was on Monday 4/8 when they asked me to provide ANOTHER wireshark, diagnostic file and a WTV file of a recording on an unencrypted channel that shows the macroblocking. I provided all of that on Monday evening and today is Friday 4/12 with no word.
I know other people have had great support from Ceton but, I gotta tell ya, my support experience has been less than acceptable.

JamesW

Post by JamesW » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Today makes a full week since last support contact. Anyone have any information on how I can get Ceton management on the phone?

JamesW

Post by JamesW » Wed May 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Sorry for not updating this thread in a timely fashion.
After a couple more emails with Ceton and even a call from them (after posting to their Facebook page), we decided to RMA my card. Issue now fully resolved. It was a hardware issue after all...

magno101

Post by magno101 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:31 pm

JamesW wrote:Sorry for not updating this thread in a timely fashion.
After a couple more emails with Ceton and even a call from them (after posting to their Facebook page), we decided to RMA my card. Issue now fully resolved. It was a hardware issue after all...
Hi James!

Glad to see you got your issue resolved.

I've personally returned my Ceton for a refund and picked up a HDHomeRun Prime. Alas my issue still persists, but I've setup an OTA HD Antena and configured my old HDHomeRun to use it. While the issue isn't resolved by any stretch of the imagination, it's no longer bugging me.

Could you please post a screenshot of your Ceton diagnostics page (where it shows hardware version number). I'm very curious to see if you received a newer revision.

Thanks!