New Installation of InfiniTV4 Hangs Windows Boot

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
hsben

HTPC Specs: Show details

New Installation of InfiniTV4 Hangs Windows Boot

Post by hsben » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:37 pm

I just got a used card from a person via forums on another site, I don't have a reason to believe the card came to me bad. Since hes been super helpful, good feedback, etc

I just got my cable card from TWC, so I finally installed it after having it for about a week already. I installed it in the x1 slot, leds went to solid blue, but it hung up at windows boot, the part where the windows 7 icon comes in and flashes around. Moved it around to x16 slot and gave it a couple more tries, with/without the cable card installed, and with/without the coax hooked up.

I'm going to try to install in a different PC tonight, but I'm curious have other people had issues with this? Is it possibly a bios issue? I'm running an I7-970 on a EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:42 pm

See if you can get into the BIOS when you start and look at the PCI bus and see if anything there appears abnormal. A stall at this point is usually a hardware issue when the windows enumerator is running the PCI bus devices.

Try a start in Safe Mode and see if the machine will boot.

If it fails in another machine, then I'd suspect a bad card. Make sure it is seated properly in the x1 slot because if is it rocked it will have trouble; but since you see the led start red and go blue, the card appears to be booting properly.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Try installing it in another PC, and assuming it boots, install the *BETA* drivers and the *BETA* firmware update. The Beta firmware has increased compatibility with a few motherboards - it is possible that yours is one of those.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

hsben

Post by hsben » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:41 am

Ok did all as you said. It works in another PC, did firmware updates, boots in safe mode. But it still wasn't working. So I thought it might be the IRQ resources or something, I know nothing about them. So what I did was when it booted I noticed it used resource 11. Went back into bios and set that one (11) to reserved. Then everything works. Is this okay to do? I couldn't seem to specifically assign an IRQ to the card, unless they are assigned to the slot.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Windows is supposed to work out IRQ issues (it's not the days of Windows 3.0) but apparently there is something on your mobo that was using the same IRQ that the Ceton wanted. I think that you found the solution. As long as it works and everything else works on the machine, then you should be good to go.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:51 pm

JohnW248 wrote:It's not the days of Windows 3.0
Ugh.... Insta-headache! They were painful times. Playing around with jumpers on ISA sound cards, SCSI cards and NICS.

The official system requirements for Windows 3.0:

8086/8088 processor or better
384K of free conventional memory (real mode, protected modes require more)
Hard disk with 6-7MB of free space
CGA/EGA/VGA/Hercules/8514/A graphics and an appropriate and compatible monitor
MS-DOS version 3.1 or higher
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:28 pm

STC wrote:
JohnW248 wrote:It's not the days of Windows 3.0
Ugh.... Insta-headache! They were painful times. Playing around with jumpers on ISA sound cards, SCSI cards and NICS.
Yeah, and then we got "Plug and PRAY."

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 pm

I remember plug n pray!!... Sometimes...i still do that..lol.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

jwhowsez@gmail.com

Post by jwhowsez@gmail.com » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:49 pm

hsben wrote:I just got a used card from a person via forums on another site, I don't have a reason to believe the card came to me bad. Since hes been super helpful, good feedback, etc

I just got my cable card from TWC, so I finally installed it after having it for about a week already. I installed it in the x1 slot, leds went to solid blue, but it hung up at windows boot, the part where the windows 7 icon comes in and flashes around. Moved it around to x16 slot and gave it a couple more tries, with/without the cable card installed, and with/without the coax hooked up.

I'm going to try to install in a different PC tonight, but I'm curious have other people had issues with this? Is it possibly a bios issue? I'm running an I7-970 on a EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR.
May Or May Not Help Depending on your Boot Issues, However
My PC worked flawlessly until I Installed Ceton Infintv drivers. As soon as installed ceton my PC would hang on restarts/Boot. Sometimes my PC would Boot and I’d get blank screen, I could move my mouse but nothing loaded. Also I use Bitlocker for Harddrives and when PC would boot and I could see Desktop, My PC would Freeze when I tried to unlock Hard drives! I tried fresh Windows Install, Worked Great until I Installed Ceton, and then Issue happened again!! Different Hard Drives with OS ect.. Pissed Me off and Drove me crazy because could find no answer or reason. Finally I went to Services Found under Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Services.
THE FIX: Open Services You will see 2 services named Ceton **** I’m not at home so I don’t have exact names, however there are only 2 services with Ceton name in them. Right Click on Services and select Manual Start and save. Put Shortcut to Services on your Desktop. Now restart your PC and Issue Resolved! At Least it worked for Me 
After PC has booted up Start those Ceton services and Enjoy.
I tried delayed start and though better, still had issues starting windows without any issues.