TV Size specs getting smaller?

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV Size specs getting smaller?

Post by makryger » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 pm

I was just at my local costco, and it seemed like the flat screen tv diagonal sizes have been getting smaller. For example, a screen advertised at 46" a few years ago seems to be advertised as a 55" screen size now. I used to look at a 55" screen and think "wow, thats huge, I don't need something that big." Now I look at the 70" screen and think "hmm, that seems like a normal size". Am I going crazy? Maybe it's an optical illusion, what with the huge costco warehouse, and the smaller and smaller bezels... (I have a 46" screen, fwiw)
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:28 pm

makryger wrote:I was just at my local costco, and it seemed like the flat screen tv diagonal sizes have been getting smaller. For example, a screen advertised at 46" a few years ago seems to be advertised as a 55" screen size now. I used to look at a 55" screen and think "wow, thats huge, I don't need something that big." Now I look at the 70" screen and think "hmm, that seems like a normal size". Am I going crazy? Maybe it's an optical illusion, what with the huge costco warehouse, and the smaller and smaller bezels... (I have a 46" screen, fwiw)
Funny, I was thinking something similar at Sams. The 60" tv seems about the same size as my 52" LCD. Probably a combination of things. Bezels are getting smaller so you have more screen at a smaller size than before. Plus we are looking at the TV's in a very large open warehouse instead of a much smaller livingroom.
Last edited by lithium630 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:55 pm

The viewing environment is very different in the store compared to what you have at home. The store has a bigger space, a different viewing distance, and different lighting than what you have at home. All of those things make the TV in store appear smaller than what it does in your home. Additionally, the store may have a 70" TV next to a 50" TV, which will make the 50" TV look very small.

So yes, it is an illusion.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:09 pm

I replaced a 37" with a 45" in my living room, and within a week or two, the new one had shrunk to the size of the old one.

:D

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:35 am

foxwood wrote:I replaced a 37" with a 45" in my living room, and within a week or two, the new one had shrunk to the size of the old one.

:D

Thats why whenever someone I know asks me "what tv size should I get"... my answer is: Find the largest one that you can afford and think would fit in the space alloted (or the WAF would tolerate) then go with the next size larger. Within two weeks even that one will seem "almost big enough" even for the WAF..... :-)
Time is on my side.

DanH

Post by DanH » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:19 pm

I 100% agree with this. That's what I tell everyone as well.
TeddyR wrote: Thats why whenever someone I know asks me "what tv size should I get"... my answer is: Find the largest one that you can afford and think would fit in the space alloted (or the WAF would tolerate) then go with the next size larger. Within two weeks even that one will seem "almost big enough" even for the WAF..... :-)
Was Danh_HP_m376n

STC

Post by STC » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

So, in essence, buy the one you can't afford?! ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123