Question on external IP

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
grinchy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Question on external IP

Post by grinchy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 am

Does the companion keep track of changes to the external IP as one accesses via local LAN?

For example, I do not have a static IP but my external IP really doesn't change that often. I access the companion at home/via my local lan probably 85% of the time. I was curious if the companion apps check on changes to the external IP as I access via local lan? I was curious if the apps compared external IP's each time I access via local lan and re-updates the external IP currently configured in the app?

Obviously using something like dyn DNS would be best, but if the apps did something like this, that would really cut down on the need (for me, at least).

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:16 am

Currently it does not update IPs/Ports, however the plan for probably the next update is that when you do a wifi scan it will update the IPs/Ports automatically, just have to do some more testing and such.
DynDNS would be my absolute recommendation though. Also if you have a Windows Home Server it is already built in for you :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:17 pm

I have my router set to renew my IP lease every 12 hours. My ISP leases them for 24 hours, so my router renews before it expires. My external IP hasn't changed in years. No need for DynDNS or anything like that for me. Check your router to see if it can automatically renew the lease.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:41 pm

@barnabas
Your router is already renewing at 12 hours automatically by design of the DHCP protocol. DHCP clients will send a new DHCPREQUEST at half the lease interval. If there is no DHCP-ACK, the client will retry periodically until the lease expires. So, in your ISPs case (24hours), your router should be sending a DHCP renewal reqest at 12 hours by default.
Executing a "manual" command to renew every 12 hours doesn't really hurt anything.... it's just not exactly necessary as the DHCP protocol does this for you.

@grinchy
DynDNS comes in handy when you have an un-expected failure... i.e. extended power outage or cable/DSL modem failure. While not very likely, it can happen...
Let's say that you're away on vacation for a week. The power goes out for a day or 2. (maybe there was a nasty storm) When the power comes back on, the cable modem boots up and connects, and then your router sends a DHCP Request... boom! New IP address. You can't access your network remotely until you know that new IP address... but you're away on vacation. Tough luck!
With DynDNS, your IP is likely to resolve and propagate the interwebs within hours... usually less.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Absolutely, and thanks for the feedback. Yes dyn-dns is certainly the solution to the issue - though they no longer offer free accounts. Anyone recommend a service?

Regarding my externaly IP update question - I was thinking along the lines of updating the external IP in the Companion App as a "last known" so in cases where anyone doesn't have a dyndns service (or static ip)they at least have an updated external IP the last time they accessed the companion.

Sure, it's kind of a band-aid and doesn't solve the scenario of long power outages, but it would seem better than having a "stored" external IP that could change, in the initial design that is... I suppose no one sees value in this?

I'm really not brushed up on any remaining "free" dyndns services so my point could be very much moot. That said, I also don't need to access the companion remotely enough to pay the $20 or so monthly fee for dyn-dns (again, I'm not deep in this areas so my figures could be way off...).

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Freebies still exist... no-ip.com and dyn.com come to mind
I'm sure there are more....

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:02 pm

UCBearcat wrote:Freebies still exist... no-ip.com and dyn.com come to mind
dyn.com is dyn-dns.org - it's not free any more, though if you maintain an existing free account, you can keep it. Miss an update in 30 days, though, and your free account is gone forever.

Probably worth checking to see what other services your router supports, before you get caught with(out) an expired dyn-dns.org address.

BangBang

Post by BangBang » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm using no-ip with mine and it works great

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:04 pm

I also use no-ip and it works as advertised.