Replacing Linksys with XB360

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Replacing Linksys with XB360

Post by choliscott » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:00 am

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of replacing a couple of Linksys extenders with used Xb360. My initial question is: Will a "white" xbox work fine or is it better to invest in the slim model? I am not planning on using wireless & doesn't exactly need to have HDMI? Also If I was to get one of the white versions, is there anything that I should beware of compared to the slim model (I know built in wireless & fan noise was a couple). My next question was on fan noise is that only when the xbox is "on" or does the fan kick on regardless of it's "on" or "off"?

I have most of my shows from my previous DVR (ReplayTV) converted to Mp4 format (I think H264), which plays fine on both XBOX360 (I have a couple already) & on the Linksys, but if the video is paused for more then 5 minutes (on the Linksys), it does not resume & if it's paused for only 30 seconds, it also doesn't resume from the same spot (like it's still playing). I don't see these same results on the XB

I tried converting some of the files to another format (hoping to keep the quality about the same), so I tried converting to WMV (xbox 360 format) using DvdFab, which seemed to work fine (played on both, resumed from pause on both), but the file size was bigger (from 50 meg to a couple hundred meg bigger). I then tried converting to H264 WTV format using VideoRedo, which created a smaller file size, which played fine on the Xbox, but would not play on the Linksys (I read another message saying H264 Wtv files did not work with the Linksys). I also tried converting a HD show from WMC using VideoRedo to a H264 WTV & the file size went from 4.5 Gig to roughly 830 meg (30 min show).

I also tried converting the Mp4 to High quality WMV using format factory, which file size was about the same as the original source & looked about the same on the XB, but looked like C**p on the Linksys

The reason I was thinking of replacing one of the Linksys with XB360 is because of thinking of using the H264 WTV format for my shows (that I haven't converted) & to possibly not have to reconvert the shows I already have converted to the Mp4 format. While being able to FF/Rew would be nice, I have the shows on another machine (not the HTPC machine) so even if I FF a WTV show that is on another computer, it's very hesitant (understandably so)

Any suggestions on other things to try (file format, converting tools, etc)

Thanks

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 pm

While both units will work for an extender, I think you may be better off getting a Slim (newer model)..This is just my opinion...

The older ones had a tendancy to get the RROD. (Red Ring of Death).. The newer slim model seems to have a better track record so far.. (I personally have two of these newer models)
It does have built in wireless.. but I wouldn't suggest using wireless for extenders.

Fan noise is always subjective.. It doesn't bother some while others will complain. To me I don't notice the fan at all once the tv is up and running and I am watching TV.
There is always a volume control on my remote that will drown out any noise the fan makes.. It's really not much worse than a CPU fan noise on a PC. (louder under heavy load) and in Extender mode it's not under heavy load and the fan is only on when when the XBOX is on. Off when it's off..

I have a DMA2100.. I hate it. It's a PITA..It has no WOL capability. It works in a pinch but I just think it's too darn under powered and I have to turn off menu animations just to get it OK.. The Xbox experience with MC is 10x better. I am hoping the ECHO from Ceton just spanks the ever living cra* out of it!! I'm a BETA tester for the Echo so I am looking forward to seeing what it can/can't do.

As far as file formats are concerned..I would ask yourself a few questions...

1) Do you plan on keeping Media Center around for some time? It's dying a slow death. And I am pretty sure Windows 8 will be the last time we see it in the OS. (Even as an Add-on Pack).
2) Do you want to convert your files to a WMC format like WTV that only plays on WMC/Windows?

If you plan on Switching to a Ceton Q later then I think you would be more secure in moving all the files to .WTV since I think it runs a modified WMC embedded OS at its core. (If I am wrong I am sure Ceton Will comment on this.)

I have a lot of HD movies in .MKV. I have thought along the same lines as you and thought of converting them into .WTV for the simple FF/REW capability accross the XBOX,HTPC,Linksys & Echo setup I have going but I just can't bring myself to convert all that content into a proprietary container like .WTV.

If I one day decide to abandon WMC, I want to be able to move my files to another machine that can play them without yet again converting them. I would say think long term. Pick a container that works well on the Xbox, WMC for now but something that can be moved to another DVR/OS and still work.

Just my 2 Cents...
HTH,
newfiend~

RayD

Post by RayD » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:08 pm

I picked up a "free" white Falcon XBox and I have to say it is really, really loud. I would stay away even at free. I replaced the stock fans with quiet ones then attached a speed regulator to the fans to try and quiet it down and it's still too loud. Now I am going to buy the slim, hopefully cheap soon with the holidays, and try that. If that goes back for being too loud, as some have stated, I will just wait until the Ceton Echo is released...next year???? :cry:

STC

Post by STC » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:08 pm

WHAT? :D
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:16 pm

RayD wrote:I picked up a "free" white Falcon XBox and I have to say it is really, really loud. I would stay away even at free. I replaced the stock fans with quiet ones then attached a speed regulator to the fans to try and quiet it down and it's still too loud. Now I am going to buy the slim, hopefully cheap soon with the holidays, and try that. If that goes back for being too loud, as some have stated, I will just wait until the Ceton Echo is released...next year???? :cry:
AFAIK... The Echo is in good shape.. they are putting the finishing touches on it before sending the units out for BETA testers..(soon??) I hope. They just sent out a newletter to most people that have signed up for that (I am one of those people and I am also going to be a BETA tester for the unit)..and they should hopefully be getting these out to BETA Testers soon with an expected release this fall/winter. I don't think we will have to wait until next year to see these available.
newfiend~