A question about extenders and sleep for my PC...

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Shyatic

HTPC Specs: Show details

A question about extenders and sleep for my PC...

Post by Shyatic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 pm

I rebuilt my Windows Media Center last night, put on Media Browser and imported my old schedule, so I'm all set. However, this is now the first time this PC is on dedicated HTPC hardware, as I moved it into the basement as a "headless" HTPC setup. My Xboxes serve as extenders into each room of my home.

That said.... what are people's experience with using XBoxes as extenders WITH sleep mode on your PC? My PC is good, it's a Dell box with an i7 processor on it, and it runs everything swimmingly. But as I've had issues in the past with sleep mode, my PC basically stayed on 24/7.

I appreciate any help or ideas here folks.. I don't want to start down this road unless there's a good, reliable way to do it.

Thanks!

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 pm

You will want to look in the BIOS settings and make sure the sleep mode is set to use S3 Mode or S3 Mode Only.. (options will vary from BIOS to BIOS).

I have a dedicated HTPC (Self Built) and it works perfectly. I do use MC Stanby tool here : http://slicksolutions.eu/ to ensure that the PC sleeps when it needs to. If it stays on long enough and there is no user input on the main HTPC or Extenders it puts itself to sleep.

The XBOX has a WOL feature and it should wake the PC from sleep mode once you launch the extender session on the XBOX. (mine do this swimmingly).

If the PC is sleeping it will wake the HTPC and MC works great. After I close out of the extender session the HTPC knows this and will sleep again after MC Standby tool times out. (it monitors extenders and knows when there is a connected extender or when it disconnects.)

I have been running it this way for the last two years with pretty good results.
newfiend~