[Android] Can't connect to PC

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
captain_video

HTPC Specs: Show details

[Android] Can't connect to PC

Post by captain_video » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 pm

HTPC: Windows 7 Ultimate
Phone: Motorola DROID RAZR, System version 6.16.211.XP912.Verizon.en.US
Android Version: 4.0.4
Webtop version: wt-3.0.0
Kernel version: 3.0.8.g29cf5e7
Build number: 6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31

I was able to install the Companion App on my PC and get port forwarding to work. When I open the Ceton Companion app on my Motorola RAZR it lists my PC with the correct IP address and port. I select it and it tries to connect but fails every time.

My primary router is a D-Link gigabit gaming router, model DGL-4100. I'm on FIOS so I also have an Actiontek MI424WR router connected to one of the D-Link router ports to feed my one remaining set-top box with guide data. The D-Link router provides dynamic IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.XXX whereas the Actiontek uses 192.168.1.XXX. My HTPC is connected to a 24-port managed switch which connects all other devices in the house to the D-Link router.

How do I get my smart phone to connect to my HTPC with this setup? Do I need to get a wireless gigabit router for this or possibly add a wireless card to the HTPC? I tend to be all thumbs when it comes to networking.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Interesting.... Which IP shows up in the Services Config tool under networking?
If you open up a command prompt and enter cmd /all
does it match that IP?
Perhaps we are pulling in the wrong one via wifi scan and you need to manually enter it.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:10 am

OK, I think you lost me. Are you talking about the IP address that shows up in the Ceton Companion config utility under Advanced -> Network? If so, here's what it shows:

Internal IP 192.168.0.115, port 8532
External IP (I'd rather not post it in a public forum)

The IP addresses and ports are the same as what shows up on my smartphone. If I open up a command prompt on the HTPC and type "cmd /all" I just get the command prompt. However, if I type in "ipconfig" I get this:

IPv4 address 192.168.0.115 (preferred)

If I connect to my router the IP address assigned to the HTPC matches what shows up in the Companion app config utility. The IP address for the WAN also matches the external IP address for the Ceton app.

On the smartphone there are two circular arrows at the top of the Ceton app. When I touch them it says I need to enable Wi-Fi to perform a PC scan. When I check the Wi-Fi setting on the phone it's already enabled. Basically, I got no frickin' clue what's going on.

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 am

Interesting.. I meant "ipconfig /all"

Idea though since you said it doesn't think wifi is there... could be firmware bug...

Hit the plus sign and add you local IP and port for both internal and external and try to connect.

My assumption is with the wifi bug probably in razr firmware. As if wifi is not on...or reporting back on then I skip to external.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 am

Interesting.. I meant "ipconfig /all"

Idea though since you said it doesn't think wifi is there... could be firmware bug...

Hit the plus sign and add you local IP and port for both internal and external and try to connect.

My assumption is with the wifi bug probably in razr firmware. As if wifi is not on...or reporting back on then I skip to external.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 am

One thing I forgot to mention tis hat the port listed for the external IP address is port 0. Shouldn't that be something other than 0?

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm

So if that port is 0 it means it will match the port of internal. You can change it to 5832 though or something else.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm

So if that port is 0 it means it will match the port of internal. You can change it to 5832 though or something else.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm

So in the update today V 1.2.1 if you go into "settings" from the menu... go to "advanced" then do "Always try internal settings" and see if it will connect internal.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:19 am

I changed the external port to 5832 and set up a new connection on my phone with the new port and it now works like a charm. I thought it strange that it defaulted to port 0 for the external IP address and it kept bugging me. I had tried to set up port 0 on my router for port forwarding and it kept telling me it had to be a positive number so I figured that must have been the problem with both the app and the phone setup. In any case, it seems to be working fine when I'm at home. I'll give it another try tomorrow from work and make sure I can get in remotely. Thanks for all your help. You guys rock!

cyberdelic

Post by cyberdelic » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Hello,

I'm having the same issue and unfortunately changing the external port did not resolve the issue for me.

PC Specs
- Win 7 Ultimate HTPC
- Running Ceton Companion Version 12.9.18.1227
- Ceton infiniTV Driver Package Version 1.5.4304.6, Firmware Version 1.1.7.2, Hardware Version 5124

Phone Specs
- Galaxy Nexus
- Android Version 4.1.1
- Ceton Companion Version 1.2.2

I have preformed the following troubleshooting activities:
- Uninstalled both desktop and mobile apps
- Re-installed both
- Ran diagnostics on desktop - all good
- Set port numbers for both internal and external IPs to 5830
- Can scan and locate PC from phone - IPs and ports match - unable to connect
- Removed scanned PC and added by hand, IPs and ports match - unable to connect
- Full error message "Unable to connect to PC, please check connection or PC settings"
- Have set "Always try internal settings" on phone with no luck
- I have no issues connecting other phone apps to this desktop (i.e. Unified Remote)

Not sure what else to do here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:07 am

So if the diagnostics ran and passed everything this means that something is blocking the outgoing connection to the phone (note that this is different than scanning for the pc).

Do you have any third party antivirus installed? Does this antivirus have a firewall built in? If so I have some steps as to how to make it work with AVG or other ones.

I see that you set them to 5830 as the port, is any other app (unified remote) set to use the same port? The port must be unique for each application.

Let me know.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

cyberdelic

Post by cyberdelic » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks Motz,

I'm running MS Security Essentials (MSE) and Windows Firewall. I didn't see anything in MSE that would be causing an issue and I turned off the Windows Firewall with no luck. Please let me know if there's something else I should be looking out for.

I've tried a number of different ports, all of which were not in conflict with any existing apps.

Thanks for your help and please let me know if there's anything else I should try.

BangBang

Post by BangBang » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:22 am

Have you found a solution? I just came across the same problem with my new tablet. Scan sees the pc but won't connect

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:25 am

Can you guys copy and paste the diagnostic report in here for me from the Companion Config -> About ->Diagnostic

Another thing to do is on your phone or tablet type into the browser:
http://IPofHTPC:5832
where it IPofHTPC is the actual ip and the port lines up. Let me know what you see in here.

Also do this on the HTPC in Chrome browser (IE wont work) and let me know what you see
I Write, Code, and Tweet

BangBang

Post by BangBang » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:02 am

Companion config diags:

Running tests
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
The Ceton Companion is ONLY compatible with Windows 7 x64 or x86 systems at this time!
OS type: x64
checking to see if cdatasvc is running
Running, everything looks good here.
checking to see if yammmsvc is running
Running, everything looks good here.
checking to ensure proper communication exists for apps
checking to see if valid settings on http://127.0.0.1:5832/
valid settings
Settings received from Companion Services v12.9.18.1227 on HTPC
Communication tests success.

Tablet:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<error><code/><message xml:lang="en-US">Nothing to see here ... move along... move along</message></error>

-------------------------------------------------

Firefox on HTPC:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<error><code/><message xml:lang="en-US">Nothing to see here ... move along... move along</message></error>

-------------------------------------------------

Chrome on HTPC:

<error xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/0 ... s/metadata">
<code/>

<message xml:lang="en-US">Nothing to see here ... move along... move along</message></error>

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:30 am

So this all looks 100% perfect and you shouldn't have any connection problems at all. If you get that message in the browser then it means that communication is working correct. Did you enter a password on the Companion Config? If so make sure you set it in the companion app as well via long press on the device.

Did you manually add the device or did it wifi scan?

What device and firmware are you currently running on the tablet?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:34 am

Also one thing to check is to ensure that your times are synced on both your device and your HTPC.
For security measures we rely on these being relatively synced.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

BangBang

Post by BangBang » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:31 am

Iview 1000tpc
Android 4.0.3
build: fj_vortex-userdebug 4.03 IML74K eng.zjd1.2010530.163659 test-keys

It was picked up by the wifi scan.
Checked time
Tried with/without companion password

BangBang

Post by BangBang » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 pm

I got it!!!! Found a setting buried in the menus for timezone. It seems my time was correct but my timezone wasn't. I reset to eastern and off we go!