What are you doing for content?

winterescape

HTPC Specs: Show details

What are you doing for content?

Post by winterescape » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:41 pm

So what is everyone else doing for content in WMC? With the online portion of WMC going away I thought I would ask what others are doing. Here is my current list:

1) OTA US broadcast HD TV using the 7MC DVR function
2) Hulu desktop with the 7MC launcher
3) Netflix, built into 7MC
4) Amazon Video On Demand, download and played in WMC
5) MCShoutcast (purchased and frequently used for streaming audio content)

Weather forecast, no current solution, I miss the Heatwave plug-in. Just curious of any other good streaming options I have overlooked that have good content, I am currently frustrated and disappointed with the streaming offerings of Hulu/Netflix/Amazon.

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:33 pm

For online content we have been using.

1) Vudu through Xbox live for UV purchases
2) Amazon Prime Video through Xbox live
3) Netflix either through the WMC interface or Xbox live
4) Amazon VOD
5) BBC iPlayer

I dropped Hulu wasn't worth paying for most of their content was the same as what we get from Amazon Prime and Netflix. Probably will drop Netflix as Amazon Prime improves there selection.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 pm

1) 2 Ceton InfiniTV Tuners + Comcast (Record lots of shows)
2) Hulu Desktop software + Hulu MC Plugin
2) MC Shoutcast
3) Netflix WMC and Xbox. (as well as the Xfinity app on the Xbox for VOD)
4) Zune Software (For growing my Music/Movie collection)
5) Arcsoft TMT5 for Playing Blu-Ray and DVD content.

If you want a weather App for MC there is MCE Weather.. http://www.jaast.com/products/mceweather/
It's not perfect but it does work. I miss Heatwave as well.
newfiend~

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:48 pm

I get most of my content from my ceton tuners.

otherwise, online content includes espn3, hbogo, btn2go, hulu, xfinity, netflix.

Also have a bluray drive for redbox movies, and a hardrive of all the dvds ive purchased.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:54 pm

four tuners plus commercial skip plus cable TV = more content than I have time for in the day.

Add in Netflix, and the quality of content I have time for dramatically rises.

winterescape

Post by winterescape » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:10 pm

thanks for the feedback so far. I will look closer at the existing content I have access to, I will program more stuff to record and check it out...

newfiend, thanks for the tip on mceweather, I had given that a try when heatwave went away but it lacks weather for my town, or anything reasonably close...

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Here's a breakdown of my Media Center menu -

Extras: Steam (using Steam Big Picture mode)

Pictures: Pictures Library

Music: Pandora (via MCEWebView plugin), Music Library, Radio, RadioTime (via RadioTime plugin), Radio.com (via MCEWebView plugin)

Video: YouTube (via YouTube plugin that is part of the TV Library plugin), Video Library, Podcast Library (via Podcast Library plugin that is part of the TV Library plugin), Revision3 (via Revision3 plugin), Vimeo (Vimeo website launches in TV mode via Internet Explorer)

Movies: Netflix, HBO Go (via Kylo Browser), Movie Library, Movie Guide, Play DVD

TV: Hulu (via Hulu Desktop), TV Library (via TV Library plugin), Recorded TV, Guide, SecondRun.tv (via SecondRun.tv plugin)

Sports: ESPN3 (via ESPN3 plugin), On Now, On Later, Scores, Leagues

Everything in red is because I have tuners in my systems, blue is online content, and green is local (specs of systems under my name to the left). So as you can see, most of my stuff (almost 4/5ths) is from ripped/local content or online content.

urg8rb8

Post by urg8rb8 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:57 pm

1. Netflix
2. Hulu Desktop
3. HBO Go
4. Cinemax Go
5. Boxee
6. ZincTV

basik

Post by basik » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 pm

1. MacroTube - Online WMC streaming application - YouTube/YouTubeHD,ArchiveTV,Revision3,TwitTV,HDNation and many more

Although the application has not been developed for sometime, it is available on google code for download and work is ongoing around the various XML configuration files to keep it alive. A MacroTube Helper application is available for testing under the featured Downloads section of the macrotube-providers project http://code.google.com/p/macrotube-prov ... loads/list

There is helpful article over on http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc/macrotube-lives/ which shows how to install and use the helper application with MacroTube.
This active project needs more beta testers and if there is enough demand they will be looking at reviving a MacroTube replacement as a viable WMC add-in for streamed video content.

werds

Post by werds » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:25 pm

staknhalo wrote:Here's a breakdown of my Media Center menu -

Extras: Steam (using Steam Big Picture mode)

Pictures: Pictures Library

Music: Pandora (via MCEWebView plugin), Music Library, Radio, RadioTime (via RadioTime plugin), Radio.com (via MCEWebView plugin)

Video: YouTube (via YouTube plugin that is part of the TV Library plugin), Video Library, Podcast Library (via Podcast Library plugin that is part of the TV Library plugin), Revision3 (via Revision3 plugin), Vimeo (Vimeo website launches in TV mode via Internet Explorer)

Movies: Netflix, HBO Go (via Kylo Browser), Movie Library, Movie Guide, Play DVD

TV: Hulu (via Hulu Desktop), TV Library (via TV Library plugin), Recorded TV, Guide, SecondRun.tv (via SecondRun.tv plugin)

Sports: ESPN3 (via ESPN3 plugin), On Now, On Later, Scores, Leagues

Everything in red is because I have tuners in my systems, blue is online content, and green is local (specs of systems under my name to the left). So as you can see, most of my stuff (almost 4/5ths) is from ripped/local content or online content.
Thank you for your post as it just gave me several ideas on how to tinker my setup =)

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 pm

No problem dude. If you need help with anything or brainstorming some ideas, hit me up. I've used several programs/plugins/websites over the years to finally get a setup I'm happy with. So if you need something I haven't listed or want an alternative to something, let me know.