TV/Capture card suggestions for new computer

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
cmdr001

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV/Capture card suggestions for new computer

Post by cmdr001 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Hello,

For about an year now I've been trying to use an LG video recorder which while performing its tasks more or less well, it has the unfortunate downside of constantly locking up, sometimes after a proper recording, other times halfway, other times before starting.

I live in Portugal and the selection around here isn't exactly good, many brands being utterly unknown and having few and shady reviews that seem like a pure paid promotion to the product rather than genuine unbiased review.

As such, and given the price of some of these recorders, I was considering assembling an HTPC or at least a computer mostly dedicated to act as a media center, but which must also have the ability to record over the air digital TV (DBV-T) signal and of course be entirely reliable on this end. I had tried to look at a few cards, but often they're criticized as unreliable or having very poor software which is lacking lots of features, and I required some that was rock solid stable, but provided an easy to use interface (manufacturer software or third party long as it's compatible) to setup recordings and so. The ability to record from HDMI and composite video sources would be great as well.

Would like to hear anyone's suggestions in this concern, or even a recommendation for a full setup.

Thanks in advance.

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:53 am

Here are some good examples with plenty of different ideas depending on what works in your area.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=15