Facebook/Skype Video Calling + Netflix Question

nxsfan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Facebook/Skype Video Calling + Netflix Question

Post by nxsfan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 pm

So 2 things. I use my HTPC to skype a fair bit. Is there a decent free plugin that will let me see who is calling , make and accept calls within media center? I looked into it once before but I didn't meet with much success. I tried to use skype to growl and growl to media center but it didn't work out.

I thought perhaps that now that facebook and skype are integrating it might offer a more simple avenue for an application to interface.

My second question is regarding the netflix addin. Now that multiple seasons have been merged into one entry, it is a total drag trying to get to season 14 of south park. Any there any shortcuts, any other apps, that I can use instead?

guppy

Post by guppy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:51 am

nxsfan

Post by nxsfan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Thank you. Unfortunately mcephone does not support video calling.

I saw this earlier today: http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/t ... brilliant/

It is very close to the functionality I require. I'm wondering now if I could make something myself that will pause, minimise media center, show who is calling and then let me accept/reject calls using the remote and restore media center/resume appropriately. Between skype4py and autohotkey maybe it won't be so hard.

Ragin Cajun

Post by Ragin Cajun » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 pm

nxs,
I haven't read the intire post you linked to, but thus far I have an idea:
Many on here reccomend using Media Center Studio to add custom buttons to your MC menu. You can even start up other applications from within Media Center. I wonder how Skype would work? I'll try this tonight. I've been looking for a good excuse to hook up my webcam and skype to my Livingroom HTPC, as my kitchen PC gets terrible skype connection (wifi).

On a related topic - Skype ring tone/speakers- I don't always have my HTPC on in the living room, I still have DISH (since I can't get my HDPVR to work right), and my HTPC is connected to surround sound. At times my whole system is off, or if I'm watching the Dish, I wouldn't be able to hear anyone calling via Skype, since the souround sound would be blasting from Dish, not my HTPC. ANy suggestions on a way to play the Skype ringtone over the built-in pc speaker (I'm not even sure if my little ASROCK has one)? Or maybe I could plug in a small speaker into the Headphones out and have Skype set to ring out through this? Is that possible?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:57 pm

Tapirex has a skype plugin but I have no experience with it...

http://www.tapirex.com/en/

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:18 pm

I figured out a solution for the Netflix-combined-season problem. Unfortunately, It won't apply to everyone. There is a way to scroll through the list very fast, if you have a mouse (or a gyration remote). Just hold down the left-click button while on the lower part of the list, and move the pointer left to right to left, back and forth, along the bottom. That'll take you where you need to go in a matter of seconds.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

nxsfan

Post by nxsfan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:35 am

Yes, for shows like SG1 I resort to the updown wobble at the bottom of the screen (no left click required), but I use a Harmony most of the time and I hate searching for the keyboard! I'm actually hoping the Boxee update this fall will provide a better netflix interface because I'm fed up with the MCE addin (I want DD/surround sound gosh darn it!)