A question about battery life on phones/tablets

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

A question about battery life on phones/tablets

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:03 pm

The battery life on my HTC Evo 3D is not stellar. I honestly don't use it a lot, so I usually get 2 or 3 days (max) from the battery with very little use. But when I'm using the Companion a lot, I notice that my battery drains pretty fast.

I have a friend who has an iPad. I'm not sure which model, but it's probably the most recent model, or possibly the one before that. She says that she gets 10 hours of continuous use from her iPad... even while watching videos continuously. That's pretty impressive!

I'm just curious about the battery life on various types of devices. I'm not so concerned about standby time, but about continuous use (which means frequently touching/illuminating the screen).

I'd really appreciate hearing about the battery life on the following devices:

A) Android tablets of various models
B) Kindle fire
C) iPad (please list which version you use)
D) iPod (again, please let me know which version)
E) iPhone (version, please)

Thanks.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:37 am

Hmmm continuous use is a bit harder I guess to judge as it is different each day.

Here are the devices I own:
Galaxy Nexus: 12 hours
Nexus 7: 2 to 3 days
iPod 4th Gen: 4 to 5 days
Kindle Fire: 2 to 3 days
I Write, Code, and Tweet

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks for the info Motz. I'd like to hear more from others too. I'm thinking that it may be better to use a non-phone device like an iPod or tablet when I'm home and want to use the Companion app. My phone just drains the battery too fast when using it as a remote control. I can't go a day without a charge when using the phone as a remote.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:09 am

I had a first gen and now I have a third gen iPad and both have been great regarding battery life. It's difficult to tell you how long the battery lasts but to describe it best: the battery never runs down rapidly enough to the point that I have to stop to recharge, it's easy to plan accordingly. Unlike my cel phone where sometimes I think it has plenty of juice then next thing I know it's jonesing for a charge.

I'm not an Apple fan boy at all but I find the iPad offers a great experience on many levels. I had a Kindle fire for a while as well. I liked it for what it is but the size of the iPad is superior especially when you need to call upon the keyboard. The Kindles battery life wasn't bad but noticably inferior to the iPad.

My Android phone battery life just sucks.

mrphil

Post by mrphil » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:25 pm

The iPad 2 has impressive battery life compared to other tablets I have owned, and it blows any laptop out of the water. I would say the 10 hours battery life is definitely correct for continuous usage. In reality I often get a weeks usage between charges at a couple of hours use per day.