clock

nadspink

HTPC Specs: Show details

clock

Post by nadspink » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:39 am

would it be possible to have an add-in that could bring up the clock in media center via remote button at any time not just while media is playing(i.e. live tv or a video or movie)? this is the only real complaint my wife has about not have one of cox's stb.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:53 am

It's not a perfect solution, but pressing the green button takes you to the Start menu, which shows you the time. Pressing the green button a second time brings you back to your previous location.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Or, just buy an inexpensive digital alarm clock and put it on a shelf near the TV.

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:02 am

within the next couple of days there won't be anything around the tv to set a clock on. i had thought of getting a cheap digital clockand stripping it down and putting it in one of my 5.25" bays but the case won't be visible either. wish my tv displayed the time but it's just a cheap vizio/ costco christmas special.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Well, then you could...
A) press a button on the remote as suggested by makryger
B) get a wall clock (preferably one that is illuminated and not too bright)
C) get a projection clock.

At church this past Sunday (it's a "mega-church" - my wife likes it), I noticed that they are now projecting the time on the wall at the back of the church (over the sound booth). I presume this is so the pastor can see if he is running over his allotted time. I couldn't see where the projector was, but it's a cool idea if you're moving everything but the TV out of the room.

Ragin Cajun

Post by Ragin Cajun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Press the "Info" or "ok" button on the remote to bring up up an overlay of more information and the clock is at the upper right (I do this all the time while watching TV). Now if you want a clock to be displayed for a long period of time or constantly, then the above suggestions look to be the best solutions so far.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:26 pm

The clocks at this site are not cheap, but very cool!
http://www.timebeam.com/

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:21 am

i guess a no for a clock addin. the projection clocks are cool but i don't really see it being on a wall in the living room. seems more like a great room or study type of thing. thanks anyways.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:32 am

Well, as makryger said, you can press the green button when you're not playing video and it will display the clock in the upper-right corner. Pressing the green button again takes you back to where you were previously. Also, when you're watching video, just press the PLAY button to display the clock. I think that gives you what you asked for, which was to "bring up the clock in media center via remote button at any time not just while media is playing".

If you want something fancier, I suppose you could use something like Auto Hot Key and define a button that will run some third party program that displays a clock momentarily.