Change where recordings show up - Recorded TV vs Movies

jjcirafesi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Change where recordings show up - Recorded TV vs Movies

Post by jjcirafesi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi All,
I'm brand new to the forum, so please tell me where this question should really be asked!

I've recorded lots of tv shows and movies over the years. When I browse my recordings in WMC (win 7) movies I've recorded from tv are listed as recorded tv and not movies. Is there a way to change metadata or some other trick so "movies" show up in the right place as do tv shows?

Thanks!
Joe

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi Joe and welcome.

This is what I do...

... Move the films to a separate directory outside of Recorded TV using Windows Explorer
... In Movie library, tell it to look at the new directory where you have put the movies
... Make sure Recorded TV library is NOT looking at the aforementioned new directory
... That is all...

:)
Rich

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:37 pm

I use MoveRecordedTVMovies to automate the process.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:50 pm

You can use the windows 7 task scheduler to automate the task Richard mentioned to run after every recording

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:36 am

That's exactly what I do. When each recording is completed, an event is logged (Log: Media Center; Source: Recording; Event ID: 1). The scheduled task executes a VBS script, which in turn executes a batch file, which in turn executes MoveRecordedTVMovies with the correct options. I use the VBS in the middle to run the batch file invisibly (I actually use this VBS for quite a few things).

Here's the contents of the VBS (invisible.vbs):

Code: Select all

CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run """" & WScript.Arguments(0) & """", 0, False
Here's the contents of the batch file (movies.bat):

@echo off
D:\MoveRecordedTvMovies.exe "E:\Recorded TV" "E:\Recorded TV Movies"
And here's what the scheduled task executes:

D:\invisible.vbs D:\movies.bat

jjcirafesi

Post by jjcirafesi » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Wow, thanks everyone, this is a great forum!

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:01 am

So I was recently experiencing stuttering in recorded TV and live TV playback which I had intially attributed to my HDD. When I would look at the performance metrics while several shows were recording I would see the hard drive queue spiking as high as 5.

What I discovered is that a single instance of the Move RecordedTV movies script was spiking the hard drive queue to 1, when multiple instances were running not only would each instance take longer to complete but the queue value would increase by at least one.

To avoid this problem I have adujusted the windows task scheduler to only run this task at night.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:21 am

Are you moving the files from one partition/drive to another partition/drive? That would explain the performance hit. Try moving the files within the same partition.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 pm

The files are being moved on the same drive and same partition. The performance hit happens once the scan starts, even before it has found any files to move.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:48 am

MoveRecordedTVMovies has to scan through each of the files in the source directory and check the metadata to determine if the file is a movie. Obviously this will affect the performance of other applications that are also using the drive, but it really shouldn't cause any problems unless you are already pushing the drive to its limit. And obviously 10 instances of the script will have more of an effect than 1 instance. If a single instance of MoveRecordedTVMovies is causing problems, there's really no way around it. But if the problems only start when you run multiple instances of MoveRecordedTVMovies, you can always modify the batch file to check to see if MoveRecordedTVMovies.exe is already running before starting a new instance:

@echo off
tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq MoveRecordedTVMovies.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "MoveRecordedTVMovies.exe">NUL
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" goto end
d:\moverecordedtvmovies "e:\recorded tv" "e:\recorded tv movies"
:end

nick

Post by nick » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:06 pm

I wanted to also filter out movies from RecordedTV. However, when I try to play a relocated recording on an extender the extender disconnects and logs off. Anyone else see this?

I've tested with both a Ceton Echo and Xbox360.

Here's what I've done:

1. Added "Recorded Movies" directory as a Movies library.
2. Move recording (.wtv) from "Recorded TV" directory to "Recorded Movies"
3. Attempt to play recording under Movies on extender
4. See Win7 "Logging Off" screen (on Echo), Disconnected screen (on Xbox360)

If I put the recording back to RecordedTv, it plays fine.

edit:

It looks like WMC is crashing when playing the moved .wtv???

Log Name: Media Center
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender
Date: 12/31/2012 10:04:53 AM
Event ID: 112
Task Category: Session Enforcement
Level: Error

Description:
The Media Center Extender session was terminated because Windows Media Center exited unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender" Guid="{7B7838A3-6562-4269-BB7A-97B0D9593882}" />
<EventID>112</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>1</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-12-31T15:04:53.736876200Z" />
<EventRecordID>2188</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="8772" ThreadID="2088" />
<Channel>Media Center</Channel>
</System>
<EventData>
</EventData>
</Event>

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:20 pm

This is probably a permissions problem on the file, or the folder in which the file resides. Make sure that the folder in which the files reside grants read and list-files permissions to "Everyone", or at least the mcx-* user accounts for the extender. The extenders have their own user accounts, therefore need file permissions granted.

Just a crystal ball guess. I've had a similar thing happen when I put files in a custom folder. The root cause was permissions, the extender trying to access the file caused Windows to try to pop an "access denied" message onto the extender. Since this is a restricted RDP session, that's forbidden and the extender is brutally disconncted ("session enforcement"). Hope this helps.
-Alan

nick

Post by nick » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks Alan.

I verified folder/file permissions are the same as the "Recorded TV" source directory. Good idea but still crashes =)

I noticed that the file also crashes WMC when played on the WMC PC. Here's the backtrace:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ehshell.exe
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: 4a5bd053
Problem Signature 04: System.Web.Services
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ca2bb27
Problem Signature 07: b3
Problem Signature 08: 51
Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Again, if I move it back to the original "Recorded TV" location, it plays fine everywhere.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:50 am

I'm not much help, but it looks to me like something is trying to download information from the internet and it is failing. What do you use for metadata for the movies?

nick

Post by nick » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:04 am

richard1980 wrote:I'm not much help, but it looks to me like something is trying to download information from the internet and it is failing. What do you use for metadata for the movies?
Yea, I thought the same with "Web.Services".

I'm not using any plugins or extra software for metadata. I think just whatever is built in to WMC? I do have Ceton companion installed which includes Yammm but that shouldn't have anything to do with playing from within WMC.

edit:

SOLVED!!

Google found someone else that had a similar crash. Turns out it is Avast! Antivirus' "Web Shield".

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=91776.0

Once I added ehshell.exe to the web-shields exclusion list in Avast! it played fine w/o crash.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:26 am

I was thinking perhaps something is trying to download additional metadata when you play the movie. I don't think it would be WMC, because once the movie is moved out of the Recorded TV library you lose the ability to get the extra metadata (hence the reason YAMMM or similar is needed).

I can't think of anything else that could be causing this, but I'm inclined to think this is due to some 3rd party software of some sort.

nick

Post by nick » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:30 am

richard1980 wrote:I was thinking perhaps something is trying to download additional metadata when you play the movie. I don't think it would be WMC, because once the movie is moved out of the Recorded TV library you lose the ability to get the extra metadata (hence the reason YAMMM or similar is needed).

I can't think of anything else that could be causing this, but I'm inclined to think this is due to some 3rd party software of some sort.
You were right, it was Avast Antivirus.

Thanks again!!

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 pm

It did work in Vista, so maybe also in W7/8:
Add a dword key to your registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\ProgramGuide\excludeTVFromMoviesLibrary with a value of 0 and tv recordings with the metadata IsMovie will show up in your Movie library. No need to copy anything...

.Nico

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:27 pm

That registry edit does not accomplish the correct goal. Setting the value to 1 prevents movies recorded in WMC from appearing in the movie library. Setting it to 0 results in movies recorded in WMC will appear in the movie library, which is the default behavior anyway. Neither of the possible values accomplish the goal of having the movies only appear in the movie library but not appear in the recorded TV library, which is what this thread is discussing. The only way to accomplish that goal is to move the file out of the recorded TV folder and into a separate folder that is part of the movie library but is not part of the recorded TV library.

NWW

Post by NWW » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:34 pm

richard1980 wrote:That registry edit does not accomplish the correct goal. Setting the value to 1 prevents movies recorded in WMC from appearing in the movie library. Setting it to 0 results in movies recorded in WMC will appear in the movie library, which is the default behavior anyway. Neither of the possible values accomplish the goal of having the movies only appear in the movie library but not appear in the recorded TV library, which is what this thread is discussing. The only way to accomplish that goal is to move the file out of the recorded TV folder and into a separate folder that is part of the movie library but is not part of the recorded TV library.
Richard, I just stumbled upon this thread, and would like to thank you for sharing MoveRecordedTVMovies. Along with WTVMetaRenamer, I finaly only use "Recorded TV" for recorded stuff that I will delete. Everything else gets moved either to my TV Shows\Show Name\Season Number\Episode Name.wtv or Movies\Movie Name\Movie Name.wtv! And MediaCenterMaster and MediaBrowser take over from there.

Thank you!