Microsoft Remote Problems

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
pdean

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by pdean » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:01 am

Neither of the TVs are plasma, they each are
LCD. The other room has flutesant bulbs but
They were off. In this same room I have used
a linksys extender with a Microsoft remote
with no problems for years.

The problem was the same. Two commands
work then you have to wait a few seconds
before it can take another command and then
It only takes two commands.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Then, try changing the debounce setting in the registry.

pdean

Post by pdean » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 pm

I made that registry change and the Microsoft and Logitech remotes seems to operate exactly the same.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 am

pdean wrote:I made that registry change and the Microsoft and Logitech remotes seems to operate exactly the same.
Refresh my memory. This thread has been going on for a long time. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

pdean

Post by pdean » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:33 pm

It is a bad thing. I have never been able to figure out why multiple Microsoft MCE remotes will no longer work with my system but my Logitech remote does. I have family members use to using the Microsoft remote for years. The remote seems to be able to give two commands and then locks and then you have to wait a few seconds and then it will take two commands and then locks again. I even did a clean install back in November and that did not fix the problem. The remotes work just fine on a Linksys extender or XBox 360. I guess the problem has something to do with my Zalman HD160 case that has a built in remote receiver but I thought I had unplugged the connection for that because I have been using two cable boxes for years now but the mce remote problem just seemed to start in October for whatever reason.

BerMM

Post by BerMM » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Looking at this as a PC tech rather than a MCE user, I'd say the problem is within the PC. If the hardware hasn't changed recently then I would look at when any of your software was updated, especially MCE/HID related software/drivers. I would try loading older versions of anything that is particularly new. Too bad you did a clean install, I would've been interested to see what results a system restore had.