Samsung told to pay Apple $1bn

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Samsung told to pay Apple $1bn

Post by STC » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:22 am

Nothing like a hard kick to the you-know-whats.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19377261

If you wanted a Galaxy, best start looking :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:42 am

Ya.. that's gotta sting the ol' pocket book a little bit...OUCH!
My next WP8 device will most likely be a Nokia..Sorry Samsung.. But they seem to get their device updates out much quicker than the samsung phones I have had.
1 Billion is a lot of clams to shell out ..
newfiend~

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:10 am

That is cray. Ouch.....i still love my galaxy nexus
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:16 pm

And yet again patent trolling proves to be profitable...here comes the next round of useless patent cases.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Ok, you obviously don't know what a patent troll is. Apple is a widely recognized leader in product innovation. They release all kinds of innovative products. How in the world are they a patent troll?

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I think that Samsung was in the wrong on design copying but I don't like patents basically apple can now do whatever they want.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

STC

Post by STC » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:42 pm

The logic of a patent to protect your IP is sound, but in practice, patent wars are not helpful to consumers and just serve to strangle the life blood out of pretty much all parties.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:48 pm

I agree I like the idea of patents and think the are important, but are implemented completely wrong.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:13 am

kingwr wrote:Ok, you obviously don't know what a patent troll is. Apple is a widely recognized leader in product innovation. They release all kinds of innovative products. How in the world are they a patent troll?
I'm not getting into the innovative Apple argument. Let's not forget they are no more innocent than anyone else when it comes to copying the work of others. Xerox Park ring a bell with you? If not this disussion need not go any further. Apple is not the great innocent white knight of the tech world. The real problem with patents is there are only so many way to manipulate the 1's and 0's and the patent office is all to happy to hand patents out for even the vaguest of ideas.

No one is innovating any longer. They are all to busy pumping each other in the rear over patents.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Venom51 wrote:No one is innovating any longer. They are all to busy pumping each other in the rear over patents.
Absolutely right!

I love Apple products but not the company...and don't get me started on their fanboys!!!
Rich

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:39 am

You guys can rant about Apple the company and fanboys and all the hyperbole that you want, but only an idiot would not recognize that the iPhone and iPad were true, paradigm changing innovations. You need only look at the timeline of Samsung phones presented in the patent case to realize it. Every phone looked like, well, cell phones, until the iPhone. Now every phone looks like an iPhone. You tell me how that is not game-changing innovation.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:42 am

As far as Apple doing whatever they want, that is complete exaggeration. Look at Microsoft. They licensed some technology from Apple, but on the whole they created a completely different product in their phone. They even had Apple holding it up in court and saying "see, there were other ways out there to design a phone and not infringe." Samsung just ripped Apple off, plain and simple.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:13 am

kingwr wrote:You guys can rant about Apple the company and fanboys and all the hyperbole that you want, but only an idiot would not recognize that the iPhone and iPad were true, paradigm changing innovations. You need only look at the timeline of Samsung phones presented in the patent case to realize it. Every phone looked like, well, cell phones, until the iPhone. Now every phone looks like an iPhone. You tell me how that is not game-changing innovation.
You act like a touchscreen based handset never existed before the iPhone. Apple wasn't even close to the first. They were however the first to dumb one down to a point the masses would use it. If that's what you call innovation I guess the bar is pretty low.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 am

I think apple has done a fantastic job from the iPod to the iPhone to the iPad. All bringing great ideas and innovating them to make them user friendly for the masses. They make some beautiful products that is for sure.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Venom51 wrote:The real problem with patents is there are only so many way to manipulate the 1's and 0's and the patent office is all to happy to hand patents out for even the vaguest of ideas.
I agree with Venom here. I don't know the outcome of the case, but I remember reading about Apple suing Google because Google had "stolen" Apple's idea to make a phone number and/or address appear as a hyperlink on web pages and in the Android phone so that you can click the link to call the number or see a map of the location.

If an idea as vague and simple as that can be patented years before any smart phones existed, then any idea... no matter how vague... can be patented.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:24 pm

I just think its funny cause i used to work at a small company that had a patent on the capacitive touch screen technology that apple uses. I know there was a lawsuit, but i was just an engineer so i don't know how that went. I know i never heard anything about it outside of working there though.