Former MS Exec: Windows 8 is a Catastrophe

Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details

Former MS Exec: Windows 8 is a Catastrophe

Post by Scallica » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:08 pm

According to Valve CEO and one-time Microsoft executive Gabe Newell, Microsoft’s upcoming operating system is “a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space.”

http://news.yahoo.com/windows-8-catastr ... tml?_esi=1
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:12 pm

He's known for blarting them out. Even though he's probably right in this case. Time will tell.
I heard Microsoft have revised the name: Windows Veightsta.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:44 am

He said its a disaster, not because of the product, but because games will be sold from the Windows store and not Steam.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Correct. As well as but not limited to Valve;
he said “I think that Windows 8 is kind of a catastrophe for everybody in the PC space.” Going on to describe the limiting factors involved with Windows 8, he thinks that it will be a devastating blow to content creators as a whole.
These are two megaton companies backing claims that the development of Windows 8, with its limited factors coming into play against content creators of this platform, is becoming a complete catastrophe. “ I think there’s a strong temptation to close the platform. If people look at what they can accomplish when they can limit competitors’ access to their platform, they say, “Wow, that’s really exciting.” Even some of the people who have open platforms, like Microsoft, get really excited by the idea that Netflix has to pay them rent in order to be on the Internet.”
[edit] I love it when things get out of context though :)

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:59 pm

In the immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davies: "Well he would [say that], wouldn't he?"
Geoff Coupe

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:08 am

I'm usually a day one adopter when it comes to the next RTM version of Windows, but I'm in no rush this time around. I can't think of many (or any actually) reasons why I'd be happier on Windows 8 than Windows 7 for my HTPC Media Center. Until the bells and whistles are shown to me, I'll wait for everyone else to sort it out first. The number one reason I wouldn't update to Windows 8 is MyChannelLogos isn't compatible. It seems Microsoft locked down files that used to be open before. (making it impossible to insert logos etc)

My laptop on the other hand is running Windows 8 right now, and I'm not impressed. I'm finding it very annoying just to figure out how to reboot the damn thing since Start is gone, and they HIDE the reboot option. Trying to find the exact spot to drag my mouse just for a window to appear is very strange.

My current Windows 7 HTPC is stable, fast, and plays nice with everything else on the network for shares etc.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 am

I've said before and I'll say again. I like it...
When they integrate kinect properly with it everybody on here would love it.
Windows 8 that is!
Lee

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 am

Starting to see some final reviews of windows 8... With titles like "windows 8: yes, its a bad as you thought" how can you go wrong?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:08 pm

^^ I think it's whoever can write the most ugly hook gets the reader - so far...

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm excited to see W8 pro on a tablet. On the everyday desktop it plainly sucks IMO.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:21 pm

I want to be clear with how I feel on it. I have been using every Microsoft OS from Dos 5.0 and windows 3.1, the only OS I skipped is ME (as I call Windows A$$). If you go back (get a VM or something) and use Windows 95, then take a look at Windows 7, from control panel options to how windows explorer works, it gets "tweaked" but, it's stil kind ofthe same. There is not really too much learning curve when upgrading a Microsoft OS.

Windows 8 changes that, no longer a start menu. Just a tile based page to go with the Metro interface. Windows 8 will work on a tablet as, I see it as windows designed for a tablet but, for the desktop ? I cant see it. Microsoft's bread and butter is not the home users, it's the corporte users who are still on XP.

If you were the owner of a large, billion dollar company and you needed to upgrade the OS on computers, what would you do ? Install WIndows 7 a PROVEN OS, that is almost like XP, no major learning curve for your millions of users. Or Windows 8, it will cost the company BILLIONS on traning and support for end users. Never mind the request for touch screens company wide.

I am a big supporter of MS and normally run evewry new OS, this is one I question. The Metro Interface works great on a phone (I love my Windows Phone 7 device) but, a desktop is questionable. I will dual boot it when RTM hits but, I am not looking forward to the desktop change, so I am pretty sure Win 7 will get more use...

In a year from now, it will be a winner or a loser, time will tell but, I'm not seeing as one of MS's best OSes ever....WIndows 7 holds that title....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Windows 8 is an adaptation and nothing more; it's certainly not an upgrade.

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:27 pm

I agree with david.... the problem is not that they have tried to make windows 8 amenable to the touchscreen interface. the problem is that they have removed previously essential features of windows for the desktop experience in the process. They even went through the effort to block hacks to restore the start menu. This is what will spell trouble for msft in the long run.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:02 pm

I think it's just crappy marketing. What if they simply called it MS Touch or something like that? That would filter out some of the opinions out there.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Everyone appears to be wanting it to be a direct replacement to 7 for their desktop. It really is not.
Forget about it for your desktop. Move on and wait for 9.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:09 pm

^^Bingo

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:30 pm

^^ One fat lady!

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 pm

STC wrote:Everyone appears to be wanting it to be a direct replacement to 7 for their desktop. It really is not.
Forget about it for your desktop. Move on and wait for 9.
That's all very well, until you buy a new PC and it's got that POS pre-installed.

Many of my customers upgrade from, eg XP to 7 and can find their way around quite quickly, but what the frig are they gonna do when they upgrade from XP to 8?
Rich

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:12 pm

makryger wrote:They even went through the effort to block hacks to restore the start menu.
How do you know this? Can you provide a link?

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:47 pm