New Hard Drive New Windows- Cannot View Copy Once Recordings

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Just13d

HTPC Specs: Show details

New Hard Drive New Windows- Cannot View Copy Once Recordings

Post by Just13d » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Hey everyone made the move to a solid state drive for my boot drive. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Pro where my old copy was home premium and updated the bios. Now my copy once recordings can not be viewed. Can someone point me in the direction on how to fix this please?

Thank you

Justin

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:48 pm

You've nobbled it, sorry.
The PC now has a new encryption key(s) (Fresh install of Windows) and won't be able to play the copy once recordings made with the old encryption key(s).
Unless you have a cloned copy of your old Windows to restore, you can't play those recordings back.

[edit]
I adjusted you subject line.
To add: Replacing the hard drive and cloning the existing version of Windows to it in most cases retains the same encryption, so you should have been okay with this step alone.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:58 pm

stonethecrows wrote:You've nobbled it, sorry.
The PC now has a new encryption key(s) (Fresh install of Windows) and won't be able to play the copy once recordings made with the old encryption key(s).
Unless you have a cloned copy of your old Windows to restore, you can't play those recordings back.

[edit]
I adjusted you subject line.
To add: Replacing the hard drive and cloning the existing version of Windows to it in most cases retains the same encryption, so you should have been okay with this step alone.
Thank you for the quick reply!! The new solid state is a 120GB while the old drive which I still have is a 250GB. I am not to familiar with imaging but is is possible to image the 250GB onto the 120GB? I always thought they had to be the same size?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Just13d wrote: The new solid state is a 120GB while the old drive which I still have is a 250GB. I am not to familiar with imaging but is is possible to image the 250GB onto the 120GB? I always thought they had to be the same size?
Yes, as long as there is less than 120GB used on the 250GB drive. I suggest using Acronis Disk Director.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:20 pm

You can even use the backup utility built into windows 7 to image the drive, I did that not too long ago when I had to update the firmware on a ssd. I then used partition magic to wipe the ssd and restored the image back onto the ssd. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 pm

newfiend wrote:You can even use the backup utility built into windows 7 to image the drive, I did that not too long ago when I had to update the firmware on a ssd. I then used partition magic to wipe the ssd and restored the image back onto the ssd. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
Thank you I will give it a try. Now I can not get my Asus board to boot the old drive back up. I set it to priority in the bios and all I get is please insert a bootable drive. It is in the sata 3 slot when it was the boot drive I had it in the sata 1 slot. Did not know if any of you have a asus board and have ran into this issue.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:44 pm

There are other caveats you need to be aware of regarding cloning data from a 'spinner' drive to a SSD. One of the main ones is making sure you have 4k clusters on the SSD. The newer versions of Acronis perform this step for you when you clone. It can also be done manually depending on method.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123