HDMI Cable Quality

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
zoyneela

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI Cable Quality

Post by zoyneela » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 am

[ Thread autolocked due to the OP scoring high on autospamatron ]

Does an HDMI cable give better quality compared to HD component cables? Does it make a big visual difference if i use an HDMI cable or an HD component cable? Or is it basically just the convenience of the HDMI cable being one, instead of the numerous colored cables?

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:30 am

zoyneela wrote:Does an HDMI cable give better quality compared to HD component cables? Does it make a big visual difference if i use an HDMI cable or an HD component cable? Or is it basically just the convenience of the HDMI cable being one, instead of the numerous colored cables?
Most devices won't output 1080p over component, topping out at 1080i, so there's that. Also, DVD players made in the last several years won't upconvert over component, and I think BD players limit the resolution. STBs may also limit the resolution if their makers have decided to close the analog hole. All these devices crave the protected path that is HDMI, and that is ordinarily what you should use when you have a choice. That said, when using cable boxes that allow the analog hole, I've never been able to tell the difference between component and HDMI when using 720p and 1080i.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:54 am

I can definitely tell a difference on my Samsung UN55C8500. The Samsung digitally processes the incoming signal -- you really can't turn that off. The post-processed HDMI signal (all digital) is noticeably better than the post-processed component. This was true for both my DirecTV STB and my Samsung Blu-Ray player. I eventually bought and AVR with HDMI swithcing and ditched the component. A lot less cabling, too.