SEWELL Inject IR Over HDMI for Remote Controls

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

SEWELL Inject IR Over HDMI for Remote Controls

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 pm

The Sewell InjectIR extends the signal from your remote controls (for Blu-Rays, DVRs, set-top boxes, etc.) by sending the remote control's IR (infrared) signal over your HDTV's existing HDMI cable.

The Problem

When you install your HDTV on a wall, or when you wish to hide your video source devices in another room or closet, you break the line-of-site view of your video devices that the remote controls rely on. This requires you to get an IR extender that can route your remote's IR signal directly to your source devices

The Solution

Sewell's InjectIR is probably the most reliable and most easy-to-install solution on the market. Unlike other wired solutions, you don't have to run an additional cable through the wall, you can use the existing HDMI line. Unlike wireless extenders, this solution will be guaranteed to work 100% of the time on all brands of devices and remote controls.

How This Works

The Sewell InjectIR uses the unused CEC channel of your HDMI cable run to send the IR signal through it (CEC channel is used only for certain HDTVs that can send control commands to your video sources, so if you use CEC, you don't need to extend your remote controls). The unit has a switch that allows you to switch between IR injection and CEC channel use.

60 Second Install

Installing the Sewell InjectIR takes a minute and doesn't require any drilling or cutting into your walls. Simply connect the transmitting unit directly into your HDTV's HDMI port, and then reconnect your HDTV's HDMI cable into the transmitting unit's female HDMI port. The transmitting unit has a port that accepts the included IR sensor which will receive any and all brands of remote control signals. Place this included sensor somewhere near the TV where you will be aiming all of your remote controls.

Next, you plug the receiver unit directly into your video source's HDMI port. The receiver unit has a port for the included IR emitter which you point at your video source's remote control sensor. There is nothing more to do to set this up.

To sum up, the remote control signal from your remote hits the included IR sensor, the IR signal then travels into the transmitter unit and is injected into your HDMI cable. On the other end of hte cable, the receiver unit picks up the signal and outputs it through the included IR emitter which is facing your video equipment's IR sensor. You will get perfect control of you devices every time.

Works with Switches, Splitters, Boosters and Cat5 Extenders

Running your HDMI over Cat5 to extend it? Or are you running HDMI through splitters, switches, or boosters? Don't worry, the IR signal has been tested extensivly and will remain intact in the HDMI cable line in all these situations.

More info Here : http://sewelldirect.com/IR-Injector-Kit-For-HDMI.asp

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:55 pm

Very smart idea. for those who are tied to tucked-away IR equipment. One less long cable to have to store behind a wall. Now, ideally, the TV would actually send its own HDMI-CEC data to all that equipment... but thats still got a ways to go...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Cafe.Racer

Post by Cafe.Racer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:54 pm

What we need is a device driver that injects the HDMI-CEC commands at the PC end (HDMI-CEC is serial after all), and sends them to other HDMI-CEC devices.

I would love to be able to control my amp and TV from the PC over HDMI. Imagine using it to wake the amp and TV and set the right sources, volume level etc automatically when the PC wakes.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:24 pm

I was looking at this a while back (I first saw it on the old TGB before it was murdered)

http://valkyrietech.com/

http://valkyriemt.wordpress.com/2010/07 ... tra-wires/

I'd love to get into this, it's just finding the time - as ever!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:06 am

Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

hotbuddha

Post by hotbuddha » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:46 am

Cafe.Racer wrote:What we need is a device driver that injects the HDMI-CEC commands at the PC end (HDMI-CEC is serial after all), and sends them to other HDMI-CEC devices.

I would love to be able to control my amp and TV from the PC over HDMI. Imagine using it to wake the amp and TV and set the right sources, volume level etc automatically when the PC wakes.
Believe it or not that does exist, exactly what you just said including PC to amp synchronization, TV waking up the PC and even customizing things like source selection and volume and more. Lots of people are already using this, so it is pretty rock solid at this point...

http://shop.rcaware.com/RCAware-PC-CEC- ... tegoryId=1