New HTPC Build - Sundries Needed?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
critcher

HTPC Specs: Show details

New HTPC Build - Sundries Needed?

Post by critcher » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Hello again,

I just ordered all my parts! And I'm very excited.

Daft question, probably. Do hdds come with cables to attach to the mobo, or should I be ordering those too?

I'm guessing I'll need some cable ties too. Will I need to get thermal paste?

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:45 pm

I recently built an HTPC. I used an Intel G620 CPU and the supplied heat sink & fan assy came with a couple "smears" of thermal paste already on the heat sink & that's what used. The HDD was a bare bones unit with nothing supplied, & so was the optical drive. But the ECS mobo came with 2 SATA cables so nothing else was needed. The PSU came with several cable ties.

I don't know if this standard practice but hopefully you will not need to buy anything else.

duffman984

Post by duffman984 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:56 pm

No hdds come with sata cables but mobos usually come with one or two to get you started

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:33 pm

The Core i5 factory heatsink will come with Thermal Paste pre applied to the fan heatsink. You can use that but I like to use Artic Silver 5 for all my CPU's. Its cheap and works better. (I think this is more of an issue for a gaming rig where you are overclocking the CPU rather than a HTPC) but I still like to do it once and do it right.

Your Motherboard should come with a few SATA cables to get you going. Check the Mobo contents it should tell you how many are supplied. I haven't had to order extra cables for a build ever.. The Mobo always came with enough.

Welcome to the world of HTPC.. it's a constant learning curve, but fun if you like tweaking your rig and making it your own. Yes you will need cable ties!
newfiend~

critcher

Post by critcher » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:19 am

Thanks for that. When it all arrives I want to get stuck in! And not go trekking off to Maplins.

critcher

Post by critcher » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 am

It's arrived! Mostly.

The mobo had 2 sata cables with it, the psu included cable ties and the cpu fan came with paste. Just fyi.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Wow only 2 SATA cables.. How many drives are you hooking up? My new motherboard came with 4 SATA cables..
You will need one cable per drive..including the optical drive (most likely your optical drive will come with a cable as well unless you got an oem drive).
I have a ton of left over cables from previous builds I keep in a bag. Just make sure you have enough cables for all the HDD / SSD / Optical drives you plan to install. If not Best Buy may have them (or a local PC outlet near you) if you need more.
newfiend

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Don't go to maplins unless you want to walk out with your trousers round your ankles...
eBuyer FTW....
Lee

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:59 am

newfiend wrote:If not, Best Buy may have them
"Best Buy" in the UK ceased trading last year (there was one near me). Their move into the UK was at exactly the wrong time in the economic cycle.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 pm

milli260876 wrote:Don't go to maplins unless you want to walk out with your trousers round your ankles...
eBuyer FTW....
Sounds like they have some interesting specials on :D
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:33 pm

stonethecrows wrote:
milli260876 wrote:Don't go to maplins unless you want to walk out with your trousers round your ankles...
eBuyer FTW....
Sounds like they have some interesting specials on :D
smarta$$... :shock: :lol: