How many dvb-t tuners can i run (UK)

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
CyberSimian

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 am

sorethumbs wrote:Is there anything to stop that 'out' being used to plug a cable straight into the aerial socket of the tv to use its built in freeview??
The only thing to worry about with daisy-chain setups is how much signal is received by the components towards the end of the chain. If the TBS tuner card were perfectly neutral, it would contain an aerial amplifier to boost the signal by an amount equal to the signal taken by the TBS dual tuner, i.e. the strength of the signal leaving the card would equal the strength of the signal entering the card. Does the TBS card do this? Who knows!

One test that you could do would be to look at the signal strength display on one of your TV's setup panels. See what the signal strength is with the aerial feeding the TV directly, and then look at it again with the signal going via the TBS card. If the signal strength via the TBS card is significantly lower, you may have a problem with reception on the TV; if slightly lower, same, or greater, you should be OK.

A couple of points: signal strengths are usually measured on a logarithmic scale (like sound intensity), but who knows what scale the TV signal-strength meter shows (logarithmic, linear, or something else). So TV signal-strength meters are only a very rough indication of signal strength, and you cannot compare the signal strength measured by one TV with that from a different brand of TV or other device (such as Media Center).

Secondly, do not confuse the signal-strength meter with the signal-quality meter. The signal-quality meter should read 100% at all times, even when the signal-strength meter is less than 100%. (Example: on my old Humax PVR, I got excellent reception with 100% quality, but only 67% signal strength.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 am

Well i picked up a 7010ix on ebay, tried it out at work as we have an aeriel. Freeview was fine so brought it home and put in another pc, ran setup, found 2 dvb-s and 2 dvb-t tuners. Found lots of satellite channels but absolutely no freeview channels. Puzzled :?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:27 am

have U checked the aerial ?
Lee

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:31 am

Yes - getting channels on TV's own freeview tuner plugged directly in, also works with a usb dvb-t tuner i tried

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Have you tried using the just the first, or just the second aerial input?

I used to use one and not the other to get good results. I can't remember which one it was though........

You could also try using a different program to check the card is ok - I think I used VirtualDub once.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:42 pm

U could also try chosing tuners and do the dvb-t one first. Chances are tho the signal isn't strong enough for the card...
Did U get a new one in? I seem to remember U were going to...
Lee

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 pm

I've tried both aerial inputs, i think its something to do with setting up dvb-s at the same time. I tried dvb link tv source just to make sure the card was getting a signal which it was. I should have just tried setting up dvb-t and see if it works on its own. I've brought the card into work to test out again. Maybe its a hardware issue with pc at home or maybe the dvb-t tuner is a bit flakey as at work it gets channels plugged into a pcie x 1 slot but nothing in the pcie x 16 slot (i think it should work in both).

Maybe i should just splash out on a decent new one with dvb-s2 and dvb-t2 lol