Waking HTPC with Remote

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Mike88

HTPC Specs: Show details

Waking HTPC with Remote

Post by Mike88 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:11 am

I just started using WMC & have a question about waking the HTPC. It will wake with either a keyboard or MCE remote. But it wakes up showing the normal Windows screen where you have to click on the login icon in the center of the screen. Problem is with the remote there is no way that I know of to move the cursor to that icon in order to click on it. How is that done or bypassed?

i am using a Rosewill RRC-126 MCE remote. It comes with a software disc which installs PowerConfig.exe and gives an option to chose TV Mode or PC Mode according to the user manual. I'm guessing one of those options might solve my problem. I have not installed the program yet because the guide states there is no uninstall procedure & I don't want to install something that is not needed.

I would greatly appreciate any information on how to properly set up a remote to wake the HTPC to the WMC screen.
Thanks in advance.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 am

pressing the OK button on my remote seems to do this. but i don't have a standard remote. harmony one pretending to be a standard MCE remote through iMon receiver

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 am

Pressing OK works on a proper MS remote works as well.

If you disable the option to require a password when waking up, it's somewhere in the Power settings, then you won't get the screen at all.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:21 am

I previously tried that several times over the last day since I just got the remote & nothing happened. But I just tried it again & it works. Perhaps I was not aiming toward the IR receiver. However pressing the On button woke up the PC. I'm puzzled.

Thanks for the suggestion because it made me try again.

Any idea what the PC Mode & TV Mode does that the software wants me to install? Have you ever heard of this?

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:52 am

i'd guess tv mode might automatically configure the no password on boot or resume for you. but you can probably ignore it

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:12 am

Create a restore point, then install the software. If you don't like it, you can revert back.