H.264 with AC3 audio - why can't I get ac3?

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

H.264 with AC3 audio - why can't I get ac3?

Post by mcewinter » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Why am I not getting AC3 audio while playing H.264 files enocded as such? I rarely mess with codecs but I would like to get this working and I didn't think it would be this hard.

What codec(s) do I need and what settings should I look at. I have ac3 filter installed and tried matroska splitter.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:48 am

not interested in anyone's opinions of codec packs but i use shark007's and its nothing short of brilliant.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:01 pm

Codec packs are not an option for me, I'll abandon the idea first. There should be a slimmer way of making it work.

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 pm

mcewinter wrote:Codec packs are not an option for me, I'll abandon the idea first. There should be a slimmer way of making it work.
I have this problem, I use a DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 tuners and I can't get Dolby Digital on the Freeview tuners or any .MKV file with 5.1 audio inside Media Center. I can get Dolby Digital HD from TMT5 but if I try turning off exclusive mode it breaks this and still doesn't fix the Freeview tuner audio. :crazy:

Does anyone have this working on their setup?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:05 pm

mcewinter wrote:Why am I not getting AC3 audio while playing H.264 files enocded as such? I rarely mess with codecs but I would like to get this working and I didn't think it would be this hard.

What codec(s) do I need and what settings should I look at. I have ac3 filter installed and tried matroska splitter.
What Version of AC3 Filter are you using? If your using the latest release (2.5b) I had the same issue where I lost functionality with versions above 2.0
I installed an older version (1.63b) and it worked again.. You can DL the older Version from my SkyDrive if you want to give it a shot.. it's in the Public Folder/AC3 Filter here: https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=08AFD0E4 ... FD88%21117

Are you decoding the audio on the PC or passing it through to an AVR? What connections are you using for audio HDMI, Optical etc..??
newfiend~

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:08 am

The signal is passed through to an AVR via HDMI. I'll be glad to check out that version, thank you.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:10 am

mcewinter wrote:The signal is passed through to an AVR via HDMI. I'll be glad to check out that version, thank you.
Check this post.. I bitstream my audio to the AVR for decoding and if you use the version of AC3 Filter I uploaded for you.. you will need to set it up for passthrough for decoding by the AVR. Check this post by Richard and I .. He helped me get it set up and it works great! http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=32&t=433
HTH,
newfiend~

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:17 pm

I've read through your post with Richard and I've got to uninstall some codecs so I'll have just DivX, AC3 1.63b and Haali Media Splitter (Which version do you use?)

I fear uninstalling the codec pack is going to cause problems.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Crispy wrote:
mcewinter wrote:Codec packs are not an option for me, I'll abandon the idea first. There should be a slimmer way of making it work.
I have this problem, I use a DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 tuners and I can't get Dolby Digital on the Freeview tuners or any .MKV file with 5.1 audio inside Media Center. I can get Dolby Digital HD from TMT5 but if I try turning off exclusive mode it breaks this and still doesn't fix the Freeview tuner audio. :crazy:

Does anyone have this working on their setup?
i get DD on DVB-S2 without codecs

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:06 pm

I use 1.63b

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:14 am

I should finally have time tomorrow to play with this some more. I do get ac3 audio when expected otherwise. My issue lies only with mkv and h264 files.

Cyterio

Post by Cyterio » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:59 am

I had the same issue with AC3 audio once I updated AC3filter I normally have it set to pass thru via optical cable to my receiver and its always worked for both dts and dd for .mkv. Recently it would only pass thru stereo. I had to change output to 3/2 +1 and its worked fine since for .mkv.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 pm

So this took a little longer to troubleshoot than it should have but after stepping away and coming back I found my issue was simple. "Use SPDIF" was unchecked within AC3filter. Checked it and viola.

Thanks guys

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 pm

:thumbup: awesome.. glad it was something simple.

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 am

After installing a new SSD I though I'd tackle this as I can't get Dolby Digital 5.1 from 6 channel MKV files or DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 transmissions.

I uninstalled a codec pack (pre-installed) so all I had was DivX installed the MKV files would still play in WMC but with no sound. I installed AC3 Filter 1.63b and the sound returned but on my Amp it still didn't display Dolby Digital. As before DVD's display Dolby Digital and Bluray's through TMT5 display Dolby Digital HD on my Amp.

I've read through all the posts and the post 'Bitstream vs PCM help' and messed with all the settings in AC3 Filter but none of them correct this problem.

Can anyone help? Newfiend could you post some screenshots of your AC3 Filter so I can copy them exactly?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Yeppers .. I'll grab some shots tonight after work for ya.
Ok here they are.. I only make adjustments on these three Tabs. The rest are at defualt settings (no adjustments were made on the other tabs) after install of AC3 Filter 1.63b. Make sure you check mark Use SPDIF in the settings.. you will see it in the pics below..otherwise it won't output through HDMI. (Click thg Pic for a larger view).
ac3-1.PNG
AC3 Filter Settings Tab 1
ac3-3.PNG
AC3 Filter Settings Tab 3
I have found that If you set these settings and it still is not allowing passthrough you can click start, All Programs, Ac3 Filter, then run the reg-entry that is titled reset to defaults.
Then Go to Control Panel> Programs and Features and Uninstall AC3 Filter. Reboot the PC. Re install AC3 Filter 1.63b
Set your AC3 Filter Settings Like mine, Click Apply in the lower Right Corner and then try your content again. Hopefully it should be passing DD through to the AVR via HDMI.
Good Luck,
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks for uploading those images, yeah that's pretty much the settings I was using.

After more experimenting I noticed that my Amp switches to Dolby Digital when the video file is played through Window Media Player but when the video is played in Media Center it doesn't.

Media Center is set to 5.1 and Windows is set to 2.0 to avoid the bug when having both set to 5.1, The two checkboxes for enabling exclusive mode are checked.

I'm at loss with this I use DivX do you need Haali Media Splitter as well?
I don't think I have Haali installed...

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 pm

I have haali installed as well but that is a splitter for .mkv. If you are playing .mkv you will need a splitter as windows does not support the .mkv container. There is also a reg hack for .mkv you can DL. From hack7mc.com just google .mkv for minimalists on their page.. They use a different splitter but I use haali and the reg entry you can dl from that page just install the one specific to your OS either x86 it x64. See if that helps you out.

If not have you tried resetting ac3 filter to defaults and the uninstall reinstall method I mentioned above?
newfiend

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Yeah I might have haali already installed, I'll check when I'm back home. I thought DivX would split it to play .mkv's?

Currently I get .mkv's playing on the PC through Windows Media Player in lovely Dolby Digital. I still can't get Media Center to play .mkv's or DVB-S2/DVB-T2 transmissions in Dolby Digital although DVD's and Blurays work correctly.

I'll also try resetting AC3 Filter to defaults and reinstalling as you've mentioned.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:14 am

make any headway Crispy?