Icaros for MKV thumbnails?

IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Icaros for MKV thumbnails?

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:55 am

Is anyone here using Icaros to provide thumbnails for MKVs in Media Center?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Icaros

If so how do you find it, if not are you using something else to generate them? I have been using the provide a jpg method for sometime now and wondered if it was time to automate.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 pm

I use YAMMM. It's fully automated and works wonderfully.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Just tried this out so see how it worked.. So far I like it. It added the Thumbnails to all my .Mkv's.. Thanks!
newfiend~

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:07 am

i just use shark007's

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:42 am

bobbob wrote:i just use shark007's
Icaros is actually included in shark007 for thumbnailing so you probably are using it.

The standalone version of Icaros is designed for those that want a "no codec" MKV solution. The only other thing required in this minimalist setup is a transport splitter; either Haali or LAV.

The big advantage of native thumbnailing like this is that it is effective throughout Windows and all compliant applications. I have been testing the current beta of v2.1 which has some very nice new features:
  • Thumbnail Provider component completely rewritten in C++ (no dependencies at all, makes it fast and lightweight)
  • Can now use embedded cover art in MKVs as thumbnails
  • Can now thumbnail video shortcuts
  • Can now thumbnail files on removable media (e.g. DVDs)
  • Can now thumbnail files in 32-bit dialogs on 64-bit systems
For the latest beta and development news check out this forum:
http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-About- ... n=lastpost
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

jhs39

Post by jhs39 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:54 pm

I downloaded this program and had a lot of problems with it. Icaros did indeed generate thumbnails for all of my video files as advertised but it didn't always seem to play nice with Windows 7. On numerous occasions I would open a folder containing video files and the screen would lock up while Icaros was generating icons--I would get a swirling circle in the folder for several minutes or more before I could do anything. This did not happen every time I opened a folder with videos but it became enough of an issue that I finally uninstalled icaros--and all of my problems with the folders went away. I liked having thumbnails for everything but not at the expense of the computer freezing.