Only one xbox works at a time

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
lithium630

HTPC Specs: Show details

Only one xbox works at a time

Post by lithium630 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:25 am

I have have a new house and had to reinstall my whole system. I decided to do some upgrades. I have a cat6 network throughout the house, a new Procurve switch and a ew dual band router. I have my first two xbox 360's setup. One xbox works fine, but often if I turn on the second xbox, both lock up. I just updated the bios and nic driver, hopefully that helps. I tried the old switch and had the same problem. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:36 am

Have you thoroughly tested the cat6? Could be drop outs due to bad termination, interference etc.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:44 am

stonethecrows wrote:Have you thoroughly tested the cat6? Could be drop outs due to bad termination, interference etc.
I haven't yet. I bought the tool but it didn't come with instructions. :)

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:46 am

Have you got a laptop? That could be your tester.

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:51 am

How is the network configured, static ip address or dynamic. As STC said maybe a problem with a improperly terminated cable or crossed wires in the termination (experience talkin here lol) . May also be a ip conflict, maybe use a couple store bought cables and move the xbox's to the same room and use your original switch to help rule out your new cabling.. I personally found using static ip's worked best for me, everything just works a little faster when xbox sync's with media center. Keep us posted

Richard

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:47 am

Good thoughts Socketman. Also is your Procurve managed? If so make sure it's set to unmanaged mode.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 am

stonethecrows wrote:Good thoughts Socketman. Also is your Procurve managed? If so make sure it's set to unmanaged mode.
It is not managed. I will definitely try using static ip's. I haven't done it yet. I've had problems with the onboard nic for a long time on my h55 motherboard. It wouldn't post with a network line connected. I've been using an pcie nic but it was acting up. I'm hoping the mb updates help. So far it's posting. Hopefully the other issues are resolved as well.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:37 am

Well.. I got some additional motivation to switch to static ip's. My wife woke up this morning and no tv's worked. (Always makes for a great day for me). The htpc said there was a problem with the dns server or something. Nothing I tried would get the htpc to connect to the network. I switched to a static ip and everything worked. So far so good. I bought a brand new router and a brand new switch so I would have LESS issues and a happy wife. Go figure. :)

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks for coming back with an update,it helps others who may exprience the same problem. Glad to see you have it working ,hopefully will remain stable for you.Can you now use both extenders?

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:14 am

So far both are working well. I have 3 more I haven't installed yet so hopefully it keeps working. :)

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:15 pm

i have confidence it will be fine. i had so many problems when i got my first 360 when they first came out until i went to static ip and have never had any trouble since. I like to keep an image of my working C drive.

The problem stems from dhcp on the computer which gives internal ip address (169.) and router gives (192.) i also have a switch the connects all my extenders and that switch is connected to the router for internet.

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 am

A lot of home networking devices have DHCP turned on by default so when peopel liek the OP add a new router and aswitch etc oftentimes there are more then one drvice handing out addresses and this causes conflicts. Just make sure that only one device has DHCP enabled and there shoudlnt eb a need for static addresses. Though I tend to use static addresses in small managable networks.

kingpinjimi

Post by kingpinjimi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:43 pm

lithium630 wrote:I have have a new house and had to reinstall my whole system. I decided to do some upgrades. I have a cat6 network throughout the house, a new Procurve switch and a ew dual band router. I have my first two xbox 360's setup. One xbox works fine, but often if I turn on the second xbox, both lock up. I just updated the bios and nic driver, hopefully that helps. I tried the old switch and had the same problem. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue.
I know this is an old post but was just wondering if your "ew dual band" router is an "Edgewater" or did you mean "new." I only ask because I have a lot of experience with this brand, if that what it is, and could help you with this.