Recommendations for new remote

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
jds394

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recommendations for new remote

Post by jds394 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:24 pm

For the last four years I've used a Gyration Media Centre remote for my WMC, which has been excellent. Unfortunately the particular buttons are giving up the ghost through over use, so I'm looking for new remote as Gyration seem to have exited the remotes arena.

I looking for a remote with the following features
- Supports WMC
- RF to the media centre rather than IR
- Can control other devices such as TV
- Can control the mouse cursor on the computer

What remotes would people recommend?

Thanks in advance
Josh

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Mon May 28, 2012 4:03 pm

The harmony 900 series has rf, but I'm unsure on how to get that to work with a computer. Harmony remotes are great though. Definitely got my vote.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon May 28, 2012 4:13 pm

I use a Gyration and love it, please let me know if you do find another remote with similar features!

I've taken mine to bits twice now to clean the contacts on the PCB and then lightly rub the back of the membrane contacts with a pencil, it works a treat.

It might be worth a try if you haven't done it already before getting a new remote......

The "air mouse" feature is great on the Gyrations.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

jds394

Post by jds394 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:16 pm

bmblank wrote:The harmony 900 series has rf, but I'm unsure on how to get that to work with a computer. Harmony remotes are great though. Definitely got my vote.
I've been looking at the harmony remotes, but it isn't clear how well they work with WMC. And they seem quite pricey.

jds394

Post by jds394 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:18 pm

holidayboy wrote:I use a Gyration and love it, please let me know if you do find another remote with similar features!

I've taken mine to bits twice now to clean the contacts on the PCB and then lightly rub the back of the membrane contacts with a pencil, it works a treat.

It might be worth a try if you haven't done it already before getting a new remote......

The "air mouse" feature is great on the Gyrations.
I hadn't thought about trying to fix it, but I might give this a go.

I am a fan of the air mouse as this can get a media centre out of all sorts of trouble. Unfortunately the mouse trigger button is one of the buttons that is failing at the moment. Might have to be brave.

wanabefree

Post by wanabefree » Mon May 28, 2012 6:07 pm

I have a couple of Firefly remotes from Snapstream. They used to make Beyond TV but since have moved on to Commercial apps. I am not sure if they still offer them on there website or not but you could probably still find them on ebay or something. They are an RF remote with a built in Mouse control and have profiles for tons of programs including Win MCE. I use it for Sage TV but with the MCE Profile so its using all the MCE features. i think they cost about $50.00 new

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon May 28, 2012 8:24 pm

I also really enjoyed my gyration remote, but like you, the button (especially the device buttons at the top!) stopped did not last long at all. I had to replace the remote under warranty 3 times before I got one that lasted until the warranty ended. But for the past year, I have been using the Dell version of the gyration remote- and the build is slightly different. I've been using it for about two years now, and it works really well. The price has gone up since I bought mine, which I regret, because I kind of want to buy a backup remote just in case.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

cjmccarthy72

Post by cjmccarthy72 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:36 pm

I am liking my Maplin's 8-in1- one side, keyboard trackpad the other, remote control. Although not especially a WMC remote, I have found that it replaces my usual Windows one and my wireless keyboard most of the time. One or two quirks but it is currently half the price that it sometimes can be in Maplins at £34.99.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/universal-remot ... pad-587606