Ceton Echo Talk - Expected Release, November @ $179

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
rmalbers

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by rmalbers » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:14 pm

foxwood wrote:Unless or until there's a reason to upgrade my HTPC to Windows 8, it's hard to justify spending $180 each to replace my DMA2100's, when the only feature that I'm really missing from the DMA2100's is Wake On LAN (and I don't think I've seen an unequivocal statement that the Echo will do this). I actually have 2 spare DMA2100's, so I might consider selling them to fund an Echo, because I imagine that I can't be the only one who will find the DMA better value than the Echo at this point in time.
My biggest problem with the DMA is that it doesn't work with MP4 streams and COX cable is using more (mostly all the new) HD channels. That will be the primary driver for me to get the echo. (Although my xbox360 works with the MP4 it's so darm loud I don't use it.)

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:02 pm

rmalbers wrote:My biggest problem with the DMA is that it doesn't work with MP4 streams and COX cable is using more (mostly all the new) HD channels. That will be the primary driver for me to get the echo. (Although my xbox360 works with the MP4 it's so darm loud I don't use it.)
The thing that really annoys me is that the DMAs are perfectly capable of playing MP4's (you can play MP4 files in the Videos folder, as far as I can recall), there's something about the way MC sends the WTV mp4 streams that it doesn't handle properly. Probably just an edge case that could be fixed in 20 minutes if you had access to the source, but Cisco won't do it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 pm

I ordered a couple. I'm planning to stream some protected WTV's to my TV's at least.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:14 pm

foxwood wrote:
rmalbers wrote:My biggest problem with the DMA is that it doesn't work with MP4 streams and COX cable is using more (mostly all the new) HD channels. That will be the primary driver for me to get the echo. (Although my xbox360 works with the MP4 it's so darm loud I don't use it.)
The thing that really annoys me is that the DMAs are perfectly capable of playing MP4's (you can play MP4 files in the Videos folder, as far as I can recall), there's something about the way MC sends the WTV mp4 streams that it doesn't handle properly. Probably just an edge case that could be fixed in 20 minutes if you had access to the source, but Cisco won't do it.
Wow, you are correct, the DMA extender does play MP4 in the "Video" section. I got a new camera that records in that mode and they play on the extender but digital TV MP4 doesn't. Wow, how crazy.

sharrisct25

Post by sharrisct25 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 pm

I am with most of you. The price is a bit high for my taste however I would have dropped it for at least 1 had they covered the steaming apps. My family uses Netflix alot and Rhapsody also. Xbox 360 works for the netflix stuff but I hate paying for the family gold membership plus inevitably somebody gets screwed up exiting MCE or getting a update. I just want a dead easy media portal that can use everything with low power consumption. Echo could be it if they would just get the steaming options down.

I have a DMA also but it is really slow and also lacks Netflix. I am toying with rapsMBC but netflix support is flakey plus I give up live TV.

So close but yet so far.