Upgrade or Replace?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
TonyXL

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgrade or Replace?

Post by TonyXL » Tue May 15, 2012 6:22 pm

With an extender going at the same time as local playback of TV/Blu-ray, my current CPU can get maxed out and I get stutter. So I'm considering upgrading.

Current (over 4 years old): AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2.2GHz)

Want to upgrade to: AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1

The problem is, besides the CPU issue when the extender is going, everything is running pretty well. No lockups, errors, etc. Ideally I'd like to replace my Mobo/CPU/Memory and keep the good times going. I'd also like to do this in 1-2 evenings to minimize disruption since my HTPC gets heavy use. Is this possible? Can I do this and have Windows 7 and my Ceton be happy? I'd rather not have to re-install Windows 7 and/or get a new case/Windows 7 license/PSU/etc. since I've got everything configured perfectly (dvrmstb, comskip, Carbonite, etc.) I don't have any DRM recordings that I care about.

I'd also like to throw in an SSD for snapper guide/menu navigation. With that thrown in, should I just start anew, spend a few days with a fresh install on a new system, and then move the Ceton and recording drive over as a final step? I think I'm leaning in this direction. It would take more time to get moving and more $$$ but I'd have the leeway of less downtime since this would be a parallel project. Would the recordings on my drive show up in WMC on the new machine?

Any advice? Thanks!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:45 pm

If you change your motherboard, I strongly recommend a re-install of Windows. Some here will suggest "anonymizing" your Windows installation. I've never tried that, but it might work too. However, in either case, you will lose the ability to play your copy-protected recordings.

How much RAM is in your PC today?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Never mind. I looked at your PC specs. If all you want is to use one or two extenders, plus the TV that is connected directly to the PC, the cheapest, easiest thing for you to do is to add RAM. You need 4GB of RAM (you can use more than 4GB if you like, but only if you have 64-bit Windows installed). Then, go ahead an replace your system drive with an SSD. I think that should do what you want, won't cost much, and you won't lose access to your copy-protected recordings.

TonyXL

Post by TonyXL » Wed May 16, 2012 2:02 am

I just ran a test...memory usage is fine, it maxes out at 1.4GB out of 2.0GB. CPU % bounces up against 100% and I get stutter watching a Blu-ray while the extender is going. So I definitely need a new CPU.

Tony

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:57 am

What GPU have you got and have you messed around with codecs? Media Centre isn't actually that greedy for CPU grunt, and what you've got should do. The extender should do most of the heavy lifting itself and local playback should mostly be handled by the GPU. The CPU should really be left just coordinating it all, rather than actually doing it.

I have a low end dual core AMD, and used to have an even lower end one, and my machine never skips a beat.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:25 pm

I agree with Mark. If you've got a decent graphics processor, your CPU should be fine. I would still recommend upgrading your RAM. You may not believe me, but I'll bet you a dollar that if you have more than 2GB, Windows will use it.

But tell us about your GPU. In your profile, it says that you have a HIS 5450. Is that on-board graphics? You do realize that on-board graphics is sharing your RAM with the O/S, don't you? Do you have room for a graphics card? The HD6450 is available at NewEgg for $42.99 plus $2.99 shipping, and comes with a $10.00 rebate. Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121439