Avoiding running HTPC and Server 24/7

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Jade10145

HTPC Specs: Show details

Avoiding running HTPC and Server 24/7

Post by Jade10145 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Hey Guys and gals,

I currently have my HTPC and my HP Mediasmart running WHS both running 24/7. I'm not crazy about leaving two comps on 24/7.

I am trying to figure out a way to just have the HTPC awake when needed. For example when I am activley using it or when it needs to record something. The problem is that I am running remote potato on the HTPC and I like having access to it 24/7. I would run remote potato on the HP Mediasmart since it's already on 24/7 but I don't think the hardware is really up to the task, and I really don't think I could even use remote potato on it (since WHS doesn't have WMC on it.)

My current set up is as follows,

HP Mediasmart running 24/7- All TV shows are being archieved to it.
-Processor upgraded to AMD Athalon 64.
-2 GB of RAM

HTPC running 24/7
- Intel I3 2100
-8 GB of RAM
- running remote potato on it for remote streaming capabilities

There's a couple solutions that I can think of. I could maybe set up the HTPC for WOL. This way I could have remote access to it and wake it up when needed. Of course I would need to check if it's capable, and check if my router can broadcast. Any other thoughts?

I am also wondering if grabbing the file from the WHS to the HTPC and then streaming remoteley could cause any performance issues.

So basically when I stream from remote potato its basically grabbing the file from the WHS. So the progression would be.
Remote computer outside of LAN- Remote Potato/HTPC - file retrieved from HP MediaSmart sent to HTPC - file streamed back out to remote computer.

I realize I am probably rambling at this point. My bad. Essentially my questions are,

1- Is there a way I can aovid having the WHS and HTPC running at the same time 24/7?
2- Could my HTPC retrieving the file from the WHS and then streaming it back out to the remote computer outside the LAN cause any performance issues. If so, is there a way around this.
Tyler Durden: It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden: Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?