HDMI cables

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
sohomita

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI cables

Post by sohomita » Tue May 15, 2012 9:39 am

[ Thread autolocked due to the OP scoring high on autospamatron ]

Is there a difference between expensive hdmi cables and cheap ones? I have a ps3 and I want an hdmi cable for the best picture. Now Sony has official hdmi cables for $60.00 but I've found hdmi cables on Ebay for $2.00-15.00. I know the Sony cables work because it says Sony but I don't know about the other cables. Do they offer the same performance or are the ones on ebay just a scam?
Last edited by sohomita on Thu May 17, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:23 am

sohomita wrote:Is there a difference between expensive hdmi cables and cheap ones? I have a ps3 and I want an hdmi cable for the best picture. Now Sony has official hdmi cables for $60.00 but I've found hdmi cables on Ebay for $2.00-15.00. I know the Sony cables work because it says Sony but I don't know about the other cables. Do they offer the same performance or are the ones on ebay just a scam?

Yes and no. There can be a difference, but there is no reason to spend so much. Take a look at Monoprice.com. Their cables are very highly rated and ridiculously cheap.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue May 15, 2012 1:03 pm

All HDMI cables do is transmit ones and zeros. It's not like non-digital cables, where a little bit of noise can affect the signal. With HDMI, you need large noise fluctuations to lose the differentiation between ones and zeros, and so for most HDMI cables, there will be no difference. The one situation where this may change is when you are doing very long cable runs of 15 feet or more, where the signal attenuation may become too much. but for short runs of 10 ft or less, the inexpensive cables at monoprice or amazon or ebay will be fine.

You may notice there is something called "high speed" hdmi. This means that it has been tested and confirmed to work with 1080p sources, likely the resolution on you ps3. But that doesn't mean that the non-highspeed cables won't work- just that they were not tested. But still, the $60 cable price is not worth it. There is a high speed cable on monoprice for $5, and the official amazon one is $8.

P.S. I'm moving this to a home theater forum, as it is unrelated to 7mc software
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

DanH

Post by DanH » Tue May 15, 2012 1:44 pm

If you live near a Marshalls store, stop in as they usually have inexpensive HDMI cables in the peg boards near the cashiers. Slightly more expensive than online, but much easier to return if you are not satisfied....plus instant gratification :)
Was Danh_HP_m376n

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:49 pm

makryger wrote:All HDMI cables do is transmit ones and zeros. It's not like non-digital cables, where a little bit of noise can affect the signal. With HDMI, you need large noise fluctuations to lose the differentiation between ones and zeros, and so for most HDMI cables, there will be no difference.
Outside noise is not really a factor but other issues can be. HDMI cables are not just a simple copper line. Cheap capacitors and other components can cause problems. I almost returned my brand new TV until I tried a different cable.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:51 pm

the point is, you can get a high quality cable without paying the ridiculous prices that the TV vendors and Monster want you to think.

Cheap cables can be cheap, but high quality cables don't have to be expensive.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:32 am

At 6-feet (2 meters) nearly any HDMI cable will support all HDMI features... unless it is utter crap. See the article at the following link. I love the part where it says, "If we needed to run very high-resolution HDMI for a distance of only one inch, a bundle of nineteen rusty coathangers would do the job".

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/ ... cables.htm

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:50 am

lithium630 wrote:Outside noise is not really a factor but other issues can be. HDMI cables are not just a simple copper line. Cheap capacitors and other components can cause problems.
Actually, yes, they are just simple copper line. There are no active components in a non-amplified HDMI cable (ie, no capacitors). The capacitance of an HDMI cable is caused because of the proximity of the conductors to one another. That's the reason why the conductors are twisted around each other. In theory, the twist creates inductance equal to the capacitance, and they should cancel each other out. When the capacitive reactance and inductive reactance are equal at a given frequency, the result is a purely resistive circuit. Of course, this only works at a specific frequency.

And... outside noise is DEFINITELY a factor. Any digital circuit is susceptible to induced noise. An HDMI cable is shielded, so it would take quite a bit of outside noise to cause a problem, but this effect is worse with longer cables.

Basically, as I wrote in my earlier post, if you're using a short cable, don't worry about it. Cheap is better. If you're trying to run it across the room (more than 15 feet), be careful. However, as many others have found, even a long, cheap cable may work in your particular application. Monoprice.com is an excellent source for low-priced cables and they have a great return policy. If it works, great. If not, send it back.

Kustom Kid

Post by Kustom Kid » Wed May 16, 2012 4:00 pm

I just want to second monoprice.com. They have great inexpensive cables and a lifetime warranty. I've only had to use the warranty once, but it's nice to know that it's there and hassle free.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:09 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
lithium630 wrote:Outside noise is not really a factor but other issues can be. HDMI cables are not just a simple copper line. Cheap capacitors and other components can cause problems.
Actually, yes, they are just simple copper line. There are no active components in a non-amplified HDMI cable (ie, no capacitors). The capacitance of an HDMI cable is caused because of the proximity of the conductors to one another. That's the reason why the conductors are twisted around each other. In theory, the twist creates inductance equal to the capacitance, and they should cancel each other out. When the capacitive reactance and inductive reactance are equal at a given frequency, the result is a purely resistive circuit. Of course, this only works at a specific frequency.

And... outside noise is DEFINITELY a factor. Any digital circuit is susceptible to induced noise. An HDMI cable is shielded, so it would take quite a bit of outside noise to cause a problem, but this effect is worse with longer cables.

Basically, as I wrote in my earlier post, if you're using a short cable, don't worry about it. Cheap is better. If you're trying to run it across the room (more than 15 feet), be careful. However, as many others have found, even a long, cheap cable may work in your particular application. Monoprice.com is an excellent source for low-priced cables and they have a great return policy. If it works, great. If not, send it back.
That definitely not how it was explained to me but I stand corrected.

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Sat May 19, 2012 12:29 am

Long (35 feet) less expensive cables have worked fine for me. I have two and I think I paid between $30 and $40 for each.
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast