PC Sleeps When Live TV is Paused

innesst

HTPC Specs: Show details

PC Sleeps When Live TV is Paused

Post by innesst » Wed May 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Hello.

My PC will sleep at the Windows Power Options schedule when Live TV is paused. This will erase the live TV buffer. As expected, it will never sleep while recording, watching anything, or when an extender is connected. Also as expected, it will sleep when a recording is paused or the whole system is idle. However, the unexpected behavior is that it will sleep when live TV is paused. I used use a Vista setup (different computer) and the PC would never sleep when live TV was paused, and would sleep on schedule when recorded TV was paused. This is the behavior I except and cannot duplicate.

One solution is to have the sleep schedule longer than the length of the live TV buffer (the activity of the audio driver will then prevent sleep). However, this is not ideal, as I would like the PC to sleep in 10 minutes. I would like to extend the live TV buffer to 2 hours, and this would mean the normal sleep schedule would also have to be that long.

Another solution is to use the MCE Standby Tool. This will prevent sleeping if anything is paused. This is also not ideal because the system would then never sleep if recorded TV is paused.

In any event, I believe that something is wrong, because someone in another forum reports that when live TV is paused:
"I took a look at "powercfg -requests" on my HTPC, I see both the [Driver] Legacy Kernal Caller and [Service] EHrcvr"

On my PC, when live TV is paused, "powercfg -requests" reports nothing.

I have Windows 7 x64, i3 with Intel HD 2000, and a Ceton PCIe tuner. I connect both video and audio using HDMI.
I reverted to factory install, and more recently, I installed the Microsoft provided Windows (with no Dell software or drivers), then only installed the network driver, the display / audio driver, the Ceton drivers, and what came through Windows update. The sleep during live TV occurs on both setups.

Ceton tech support says that their drivers have no interaction with the sleep system - it is all handled by Media center/Windows.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Wed May 09, 2012 7:45 pm

innesst wrote:In any event, I believe that something is wrong, because someone in another forum reports that when live TV is paused:
"I took a look at "powercfg -requests" on my HTPC, I see both the [Driver] Legacy Kernal Caller and [Service] EHrcvr"

On my PC, when live TV is paused, "powercfg -requests" reports nothing.
My 7x64 system agrees with yours.

The sleep algorithms often aren't well thought out, and that includes Windows itself. For example, last night, my PC went to sleep at 8:16 PM and woke up at 8:24 PM to perform a recording. That's pretty stupid. I looked but did not find any setting to control the minimum sleep time.

jrinco11

Post by jrinco11 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:53 am

My Intel NUC is doing the same thing where it will go to sleep when live TV is paused -- did you ever solve this issue?

innesst

Post by innesst » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Honestly, no. I barely watch live TV anymore. If there is any doubt, I just hit record so there is no concern about sleeping or rubbing out of buffer.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:14 am

A few years ago somebody made an addin that would prevent the PC from sleeping when live TV is paused, but I don't know who it was or what it was called. I'll do some digging to see if I can figure it out.