Running WMC off of main PC

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Running WMC off of main PC

Post by choliscott » Tue May 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been debating on running WMC off of my main pc (I7 2600k). While I no real reason for wanting to try this, I was curious if anybody is doing this or has tried this & what your result is/was. If it working great, can I ask what cpu you are running & how much memory & what is the most cpu / gpu intense task you have this system doing?

Thanks

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Wed May 09, 2012 12:02 am

The main problem I find using the "main" PC for a DVR, is that the DVR is kind of my toy and I like to test and change things. I also tend to rebuild it often. This is much easier on a dedicated PC. Dealing with rebuilding Office, Email, itunes, games, etc is a real pain. I have tested things on the main computer(s) but this typically leaves me cleaning it up in the future. It kind of depends what you do on the main box and who else uses it. The i7 has more than enough horsepower to do both, but I like to keep them separate. YMMV

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Wed May 09, 2012 12:30 am

While I have run Windows Media Center on my main (All-Purpose) system, I generally don't. I have a dedicated HTPC for that. You can see my HTPC specs by clicking the monitor to the left. My All-Purpose system includes an Intel Core I5-760, 8GB of RAM and a GeForce 8800GTS-640. I use this system for everything else the HTPC does not do; gaming, browsing, testing, programming and video encoding and storage, which is probably the most intensive tasking it performs. I would think (but certainly have not attempted) if my HTPC's AMD AthlonII X2-240 dual-core processor and 4GB of RAM can record three different programs, while I simultaneously watch a fourth without a hitch, then my quad-core Intel Core I5 (or your Core I7 2600K) and 8GB of RAM wouldn't even notice.

But again... I have not tested this.

-Wolf sends

NWW

Post by NWW » Thu May 10, 2012 9:55 am

Running an i5-2500k (will upgrade it to the 3770k shortly) with the IGP connected to a TV in my room, next to my 24 inch monitor fed by a Radeaon HD 7950 from Powercolor. Using the monitor for work/play/web usage, while having everything media related (Live TV + DVR) off of the TV.

8 GB of ram, highest I've ever seen it go is aroung 5 GB while running BF3. Other than that, it's plenty powerfull enough for everything I want it to do.

tommo

Post by tommo » Thu May 10, 2012 11:28 am

I have my office PC that i dual use. it's i7 12GB with around 10TB of storage.

I use this machine as a workhorse and leave it on 24/7 so acts as a server. it's got a tv card inside and I'll often use 'the maxifier' to use media center on the 2nd screen.

I've never noticed any stuttering on the main media center PC when using this machine for encoding, games etc.

Last time i check recording 2 * HD programs used about 8-10% CPU.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri May 11, 2012 5:11 am

Thanks everyone, based on the response, my PC is probably strong enough to run it. By chance has anybody used a USB 2.0 or 3.0 drive for recording. Are you having any issues using that (playing video, rewinding, skipping forward/back)?