Win 7 Media Center - TV - No audio on HD channels

Phildubya74

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win 7 Media Center - TV - No audio on HD channels

Post by Phildubya74 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi,

I wonder if you can help.

I have recently purchased a PCTV Nanostick DVD-T2 290e

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and I use Windows Media Center for almost everything. I run a media center machine in my lounge through my Sony AV Amp onto my HD TV.

I bought the Nanostick to watch ‘Freeview HD’ programmes when watching the TV through the Media Center – I also have a Sony Freeview Plus system that the Mrs uses.

I installed the Nanostick with relatively no issues and as described by many user reviews Media Center picked up the new USB tuner and scanned all the new channels and I was presented with all the HD channels. The issue I have is that there is no audio sound from the HD channels but perfect video. SD works fine.

The software that comes with the Nanostick works fine – both sound and vision are perfect for the HD channels.

As mentioned, I run my Media Centre lots. I have an extensive DVD and BD collection stored on a server and DVD and BD all play perfectly through Arcsoft Total Media Theatre 5 – with no issues on either SD or HD. My sound card is built into my motherboard and that sends the audio signal to my gfx card and that in turn passes it through to my Sony AV Amp that decodes the audio to be heard on my 5.1 set up.

Does anyone have any ideas. I have searched lots on the net and I cant find anyone else with the same issue. I am aware of codecs etc but I don’t really understand it. It also puzzles me that when I read the user/buyer reviews for this product so many people tell the story of faultless installations on the same kind of set up as me.

I am very sorry if you are reading this in a few other forums but this is doing my head in and I wanted to see what responses the great and the good could give.

Thanks

Phil

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue May 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Is this related to the audio format used on Freeview HD (LE-AAC?) not being fully supported in Media Center?

I use HDMI straight to my TV and get audio fine, you could maybe try installing AC3Filter to see if that helps?

You certainly don't need to install any "codec packs" to watch/hear Freeview HD.

Do you have any codecs installed, or have you changed any system files in order to alter the built in codecs?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Phildubya74

Post by Phildubya74 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Hello, thank you for your reply..

in case anyone comes across this thread and wonders what happened... Well after a lot of wasted hours installing codec packs and messing around with drivers I rebuilt the Media Center from a full reformat and fresh application of the O/S - it fixed it's self and also so far I have not installed or applied any third party codecs. All my set up is running without issue with the software contained within Windows 7 64bit Home Premium SP1.

viewpoint

Post by viewpoint » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:50 am

Dear Phil,
I am trying to find a solution for freeviewHD recording on Media Centre/Windows 7 64-bit with use with Xbox360 MediaCentreExtender. I have only come across the BlackGold Card and the Nanostick. I found your post when searching for more information - how are things getting on with the Nanostick? Would you recommend it? I have not read good reviews of the BlackGold Card.
Thanks for any advice.
Marc

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm using a TBS6280 twin tuner card for Freeview HD and it works very well.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.