Ceton Echo/Companion App Beta

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Motz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Motz » Tue May 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Wolfshadw wrote:
J3ff wrote:Geezuz, I JUST got the email, and responded to it. Come to find out it's been open for days?! :( Guess I'm not going to get in on this one!! I've got tons of stuff to test it on too!!
I wouldn't say, "days". Ceton only made the announcement at 9:00am EDT on Monday.

-Wolf sends

We are not selecting via order of submission as that wouldn't really be fair to people in different time zones. It is based off of a lot of different information provided and then at random.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

gcw07

Post by gcw07 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Motz wrote:We will have an installer for you HTPC which bundles all of our services together. Metadata, communication, stuff like that. You can see by a post by michael over at missing remote that one of the core features is YAMMM 2.0 :) http://www.missingremote.com/news/2012- ... pen-signup
Thanks Motz. Interesting. So I'm assuming then it will still all be run directly through your servers and the app will not communicate directly with the HTPC. Why I asked was if it was communicating directly with the HTPC, those of us with rolling IPs would need to setup some type of service like dyndns.org to maintain a connection.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 pm

gcw07 wrote:
Motz wrote:We will have an installer for you HTPC which bundles all of our services together. Metadata, communication, stuff like that. You can see by a post by michael over at missing remote that one of the core features is YAMMM 2.0 :) http://www.missingremote.com/news/2012- ... pen-signup
Thanks Motz. Interesting. So I'm assuming then it will still all be run directly through your servers and the app will not communicate directly with the HTPC. Why I asked was if it was communicating directly with the HTPC, those of us with rolling IPs would need to setup some type of service like dyndns.org to maintain a connection.
I have a dynamic IP from my ISP. I setup my router to renew the lease on the IP address every few hours. My IP address hasn't changed in years.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Tue May 01, 2012 11:23 pm

As for features, I have a request. I realize currently this is for small mobile form factors, but it stands to reason a tablet type interface would make sense as well. I would LOVE to be able to stream my TV to my iPad via internet. I realize this requires port mapping, yatta yatta...I almost have this already with Remote Potato, but DRM protected cablecard content is not streamable. It is almost so great.
Greg

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 pm

gcw07 wrote:
We are talking with the HTPC. We have easy HTPC switching though and if your IP changes we have like a little wizard to detect your HTPC and such so it shouldn't be a huge issue.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue May 01, 2012 11:56 pm

Motz, I got 2 HTPCs in the house. Will I have to like disconnect/search/connect to each different HTPC depending what room I'm in; or will the app remember connections so I would only have to choose HTPC 1 or 2.

tommo

Post by tommo » Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 am

how can someone that makes something this cool listen to lil wayne?

Kustom Kid

Post by Kustom Kid » Wed May 02, 2012 9:05 am

staknhalo wrote:Motz, I got 2 HTPCs in the house. Will I have to like disconnect/search/connect to each different HTPC depending what room I'm in; or will the app remember connections so I would only have to choose HTPC 1 or 2.
I was wondering the same thing. It's this similar in function to Remote Potato? Using Remote Potato and Remote Media on my Android phone I can access each HTPC separately within the same app. I don't believe it's possible with the iOS app for Remote Potato though. It would be nice for those of us running two machines to have access to each one with as little fuss as possible.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed May 02, 2012 5:01 pm

tommo wrote:how can someone that makes something this cool listen to lil wayne?
I am an original Weezy fan. I go way back to the hot boys. Juvenile, B.G., Turk, Big Tymers. I mean way back. I have seen wayne live about 4 times. I loves it.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed May 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Kustom Kid wrote:
staknhalo wrote:Motz, I got 2 HTPCs in the house. Will I have to like disconnect/search/connect to each different HTPC depending what room I'm in; or will the app remember connections so I would only have to choose HTPC 1 or 2.
I was wondering the same thing. It's this similar in function to Remote Potato? Using Remote Potato and Remote Media on my Android phone I can access each HTPC separately within the same app. I don't believe it's possible with the iOS app for Remote Potato though. It would be nice for those of us running two machines to have access to each one with as little fuss as possible.
This feature is already in my backlog of items to do as some of the guys around the office have multiple PCs. So what I will do is it will work like a wifi settings today where once you connect to an HTPC it will remember it and you can manage these connections. There will be a button that says "switch HTPCs" basically and you can change which one you are looking at on the fly.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed May 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Good to hear Motz. I gotta say, I don't have a Ceton cause I don't do CableCard; but if I ever go that route you guys got my purchase. Even before the Q and everything, your guys' amount of interaction and support for/with/in the community is bar none :thumbup:

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed May 02, 2012 5:48 pm

staknhalo wrote:Good to hear Motz. I gotta say, I don't have a Ceton cause I don't do CableCard; but if I ever go that route you guys got my purchase. Even before the Q and everything, your guys' amount of interaction and support for/with/in the community is bar none :thumbup:
:) yeah i didn't have cablecard until I started working here. I loves it now though :)

The great thing about the apps too is that you can use media center just for your normal content as well. I have friends that are super interested and don't subscribe to tv either.

We love you guys!
I Write, Code, and Tweet

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 pm

@Motz.. Glad to see the Ceton guys brought you and mikinho etc..on board. You guys have some very good ideas. I can't wait to get a hold of the app and echo.. These both look and sound amazing.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

tommo

Post by tommo » Thu May 03, 2012 8:04 am

Motz wrote:
I am an original Weezy fan. I go way back to the hot boys. Juvenile, B.G., Turk, Big Tymers. I mean way back. I have seen wayne live about 4 times. I loves it.
For this reason alone i'm going to have to scrap any plans of using a ceton product, i mean, what would dj premier think.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu May 03, 2012 6:23 pm

tommo wrote:
Motz wrote:
For this reason alone i'm going to have to scrap any plans of using a ceton product, i mean, what would dj premier think.
If by scrap any plans... you actually mean buy everything we release then I am in :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

epete

Post by epete » Fri May 04, 2012 4:30 pm

staknhalo wrote:Good to hear Motz. I gotta say, I don't have a Ceton cause I don't do CableCard; but if I ever go that route you guys got my purchase. Even before the Q and everything, your guys' amount of interaction and support for/with/in the community is bar none :thumbup:
Yes, this is a huge Plus for Ceton! I am looking forward to replacing my HTPCs with Ceton Qs and a couple of Echo's.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri May 04, 2012 7:53 pm

I was on the DMZ podcast this week, they just put it up:
http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2012/05/ ... ompanions/

I talk about the apps + extender and the beta and such.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Motz wrote:I was on the DMZ podcast this week, they just put it up:
http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2012/05/ ... ompanions/

I talk about the apps + extender and the beta and such.
Shut up, no one cares. :P

Joking aside, I got some questions/comments after listening to the podcast. First off, about pricing. I have a hard time paying for mobile apps. However, I would fork over around $2 for the app no problem. And this is coming from someone who felt ripped off when I bought SecondRun.tv for $3 (that's another story).

Now we know Ceton is using YAMM (for the companion app at least); so I'm assuming no matter what format my metadata is in (unless I'm currently using YAMM) it won't be my metadata displayed, but the YAMM metadata. Correct? If not, what non YAMM metadata format(s) are supported. If it's YAMM's way or nothing, no big deal. Just the meticulousness in me.

Will the search results include Netflix instant results? If, not that I would like to suggest/request that for down the line and I think others would like that as well.

I'm sure you guys will have a native (from within Media Center) search app that mimics companion app results on the Q/extender. Any chance of releasing a regular Media Center search app that would display similar results as the companion app? If you wanna keep that as a selling point I understand, but that would be a cool thing as well.

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 06, 2012 2:32 pm

[kind of off topic, but this was the original 'adjusted' Q and Echo thread and this is related]

Motz, can you comment on InfiniTV6 PCIe development? As the Q will be built using these, is it possible for release to be roughly the same time frame as the Q?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Sun May 06, 2012 5:05 pm

For those that make it in the Beta, what I want to hear about is Echo startup time, stability, and ability to play H.264 files in a .wtv file.