Media Center running Wireless

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
jetskidj

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center running Wireless

Post by jetskidj » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Hello,
I running a media center at home all wired with a Ceton card (HD LIVE quad cable card) with downloaded files running like a champ for close to two years. My friend / Boss just purchased a very large house that is incredibly cut up and wants to run a system like mine. Due to crazy roof lines, limited access, and angles I’m entertaining running cat 5 / HDMI to the TV’s that will play Blue Ray then repeated wireless throughout the remainder of the home.
When I was researching this stuff prior wireless was not quite enough reliable to run HD. With all the new technology with wireless routers / extenders / etc. can I run a media extender wirelessly with a live HD format and downloaded video (not including blue ray)?
If so what should I be looking for in this equipment?
Thanks
Dan

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:05 pm

It's a crap shoot trying any streaming over wireless, let alone repeated wireless - don't even go there.
I would suggest looking into powerline ethernet adapters, but even then, some users report the odd glitch.

Nothing yet matches good old twisted pair I'm afraid.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:08 pm

From my experience wireless isn't reliable enough. If you can't run cat5/6 then I would look into maybe using MOCA adaptors on cable lines.. Much more reliable than wireless! Extenders really need a wired connection to be reliable.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:10 pm

newfiend adds good info - If you already have a COAX infrastructure you can try MOCA. If you don't, you're in the same boat as before.

[edit] You'd need to pay careful attention to the splitting and routing of the COAX if it is a large installation.

mrt1r

Post by mrt1r » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:00 am

I can tell you from my personal experience, I have been streaming wireless from a ceton card with out a hitch. Admittedly, the ranges are fairly close (with in 20' of the AP). Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe streaming 1080p HD only requires some where in the neighborhood of 20-30 mbits/s so if you have a strong wireless n signal, you should be fine. You could always set up a test platform with WMC7 on a laptop while walking around the house checking for dead spots.

jetskidj

Post by jetskidj » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:49 pm

mrt1r,
Thanks for the info.
Are you using Lynksis media players?
What kind of wireless router? (N)
Thanks
Dan

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:07 pm

For what its worth:
I have 2 XBox extenders... 1 wired Cat5 and the other Wireless N. The Wireless N works well for the most part. I might get a network error once or twice a week, but it never knocks the signal out. It just keeps going.
The wireless router is located on the second floor in my office, and the wireless XBox is on the first floor in the living room. To be honest, I think most of the trouble I have with the wireless setup is the fault of the Linksys firmware... but that's a whole different story. When I get a free Saturday afternoon, I'm going to DD-WRT. Linksys stock firmware suuuuucks!

I'm running the Cinco/Linksys E3000. I really wish the XBox slim could use 5GHz wireless, but can't have everything I guess.

But to echo everyone else... you really can't go wrong with good ol' copper.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:27 pm

UCBearcat wrote:The Wireless N works well for the most part.
This was my point :shifty: