Seagate HDD warranty process; too easy!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
brantmacga

HTPC Specs: Show details

Seagate HDD warranty process; too easy!

Post by brantmacga » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:22 am

I posted a thread earlier about a failing HDD here --> http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=1867

this particular 1.5TB HDD is at least two years old; maybe three.

While in the process of copying my data to a new seagate 1.5TB HDD, i downloaded a program from seagate called SeaTools, just to see if it could tell me what was going wrong. When I selected the drive to test, and it failed, it gave me the option to see if the drive is under warranty; clicked a button where I was taken to a seagate webpage. Turns out, this drive is still under warranty. It asked if I would like to create an RMA return, which I did, and within a couple minutes I had a printed shipping label sitting here on the desk. Sending this one back tomorrow.

This is the first time I've ever experienced a hard drive failure, so I didn't know what to expect. Its worth noting though, they do require you to ship the failed drive back in 'approved' packaging and with an ESD bag. This isn't a problem for me since I have the packaging from newegg the new drive came in. If you don't have the approved container, it gives you links where you can purchase one.

Just thought I'd share for future reference.

boogmeister1

Post by boogmeister1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:32 am

I did a RMA with Western Digital a few months back and it was really easy as well. I really liked that they give you the option to send the defective drive to them, or they will send you a replacement drive and you send back the defective drive in their packaging with a prepaid label. I opted to have them ship me a replacement drive as it only cost me $10.00... it would have cost me $12.00 to send my drive to them.

Eric

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:34 am

Since when is WD charging for warranty replacements? I've done several over the years, most recently in 2010, and to get an advance replacement, I only ever had to give them a credit card number. There was never any actual charge.

boogmeister1

Post by boogmeister1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 pm

crawfish wrote:Since when is WD charging for warranty replacements? I've done several over the years, most recently in 2010, and to get an advance replacement, I only ever had to give them a credit card number. There was never any actual charge.
I don't know, but I was charged $10.00. I didn't mind, as it was still cheaper than me sending it to them and waiting for them to send me the replacement. Not to mention, I didn't have the proper packaging to send them the drive, so I didn't have to purchase that either.