DVD rips

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
jerschmidt14

HTPC Specs: Show details

DVD rips

Post by jerschmidt14 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:12 am

Hi,
I have two young boys. They are constantly destroying DVDs with peanut butter, fingerprints, scratches, etc. So, I decided to rip them. Thought i would use XBOX to watch. I ripped them using handbrake into M4V files as well as using DVD Fab to take raw copies. I can watch the DVD fab ones through MCE on the xbox, and the M4V files (when i rename them to AVIs) on the XBOX 360 as well.

The problem is the M4V files, and the DVD Fab ones look terrible on the XBOX 360. They look even worse when i use the MCE interface on the xbox to play them. Using sharing and playing directly on the xbox seems to look better, but still not good. The colors look like crap and they stutter. I am not using wireless and run a gigabit network (switches gigabit, CAT 6 wiring, PCs gigabit, although XBOX is 100mbps). However, play the physical DVD in the XBOX 360, and it looks fine.

Now, what is even stranger.. If I use my apple tv box (also hooked up to my TV) to play the files (handbrake), they look absolutely fine, just like the DVDs.

Possibly poorly written Codecs on the XBOX / MCE?

Cheers,

Jeremy

tommo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by tommo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:09 am

what profile is it in handbrake?

Whats the filesize? the profile I use averages rips around 2GB each.