Delta DVR

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
duncane

HTPC Specs: Show details

Delta DVR

Post by duncane » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Very nice looking box! But knowing this forum, we're going to want some more details :P.
Like... are the six streams via cablecard? What kind of connectivity is in the back of the box? HDMI-CEC? How will we be playing bluray? Can we install our own media center apps?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:46 pm

I just want to watch the voice control as it listens to the TV. ;-)

RyanWhiteman

Post by RyanWhiteman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:39 pm

Glad you've already got some questions..

We are very happy with the design of the box. Simplistic is what we were going for.

Yes, it supports CableCard. That was a key requirement for us.

Plenty of MODERN connectivity (hint: No PS/2, VGA, or DVI) that gives you access to many devices

We've got a Blu-Ray drive installed for you. For those that have movies on their home network, we can access and play those as well.. and any other content you may have.

We have no plans on preventing users from customizing this, including installing applications.

RyanWhiteman

Post by RyanWhiteman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:39 pm

Voice controls works very well right now.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Hey, thanks for the quick replies and the participation here.

Is this restricted to digital cable/cableCARD, or does it have ATSC and/or clear QAM tuner capabilities?

I see no mention of extenders; will XBox work off the shelf? Maybe other extenders?

When is it available?

Although I can customize it, does it offer any specific new UI customization capability, like adding in things that aren't there or aren't easy to do with off the shelf Media Center? Does it have any custom Hulu integration, for example? Or anything remotely resembling Roku or XBMC?

RyanWhiteman

Post by RyanWhiteman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:03 am

Always glad to answer questions. We're actually at DEMO Spring 2012 showing it off right now, and will be presenting on stage tomorrow afternoon.

All Media Center Extenders will work with it.

We are bringing you some awesome UI capabilities, and a lot of additional features.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 am

Very nice. Any specs yet or is that for the presentation?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

RyanWhiteman

Post by RyanWhiteman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:14 am

No specs yet, but they are coming... and they are impressive. :)

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:56 am

Hi,

I'm guessing this is going to be US only? :cry:

I'm also curious by this comment on your site: "By all of your content, we mean all of your content. Record a show in your living room, but want to watch it in your bedroom? Just browse over to your shared recordings, and play." Does this include protected content? "Shared recordings" implies Homegroup sharing through another PC, but, as far as I'm aware anyway, protected content only works through an extender.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:13 am

Could a non US user maybe order one without a tuner and then fit our own pcie DVB-S2/T2 card? :P
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:56 am

mark1234 wrote:Hi,

I'm also curious by this comment on your site: "By all of your content, we mean all of your content. Record a show in your living room, but want to watch it in your bedroom? Just browse over to your shared recordings, and play." Does this include protected content? "Shared recordings" implies Homegroup sharing through another PC, but, as far as I'm aware anyway, protected content only works through an extender.
PlayReady allows sharing of protected content in the domain. However, the feature is not implemented in WMC. I don't know the specifics of how you would go about adding such a feature to WMC, but I know it is technically possible. I would certainly be interested in knowing if this device implements this feature.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Interesting, thanks.

Protected recordings aren't an issue over here. So beyond knowing that DRM causes issues (as always) I didn't know what options exist around it.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

RyanWhiteman

Post by RyanWhiteman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:20 pm

mark1234 wrote:Hi,

Our initial release will be to the US only, but there are plans for other locations as well.

We've got something in the works. ;)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Hmmm... competition for the Q. Interesting. It's good to see new products coming out, based on WMC. The next year seems like it will be very interesting for all of us with Q, Echo, Delta, and 8MC on the horizon.

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:08 am

The Δ made it to engadget... http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/19/eyes ... ware-deta/

Question, Ryan- is the six tuner Silicondust hardware you're getting going to require two cablecards, like the HDHRP?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:12 am

engadget wrote:Currently the Delta DVR's just a home theater pipe dream -- a promising one, for sure, but a pipe dream nonetheless. That said, we surely hope that Whiteman Technologies can get the funding needed to start manufacturing the device and deliver on all its promises, because it's got just about everything we could ask for in a home theater hub.
So specs are obviously a changeable attribute at this point :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

RyanWhiteman

Post by RyanWhiteman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:57 am

makryger wrote:The Δ made it to engadget... http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/19/eyes ... ware-deta/

Question, Ryan- is the six tuner Silicondust hardware you're getting going to require two cablecards, like the HDHRP?

Not going to release the specs on the tuners yet.. Sorry.

RyanWhiteman

Post by RyanWhiteman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:59 am

stonethecrows wrote:
engadget wrote:Currently the Delta DVR's just a home theater pipe dream -- a promising one, for sure, but a pipe dream nonetheless. That said, we surely hope that Whiteman Technologies can get the funding needed to start manufacturing the device and deliver on all its promises, because it's got just about everything we could ask for in a home theater hub.
So specs are obviously a changeable attribute at this point :)

There are a couple routes we can go with hardware.. we'll keep you posted. What do you all want?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:08 pm

It would need to be powerful enough to run several extenders simultaneously in order to compete with the Q.