Microsoft IR Remote

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
PeteT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Microsoft IR Remote

Post by PeteT » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi guys
I have been tasked with building a media centre PC for my dad. When i built mine i got the Microsoft remote and IR receiver. This has and still is working perfectly. Now i NEED a rock solid system for my dad otherwise i will be pestered whenever i visit them.

So my question is, what receiver should i get? He will be using a Harmony One as a remote. It needs to ake the PC from standby as well. Obviously the Microsoft remote and receiver is no longer available :(

Thank you
Peter

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:45 pm

I would check eBay for a HP RC6 receiver. That should work great with MC and the Harmony remote.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:48 pm

There is also this, you get a spare remote too but the receiver is RC6, which is what you want.. http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Microsoft- ... B006TPPVKE

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm

One other option if you get the antec fusion remote black case it has a built in RC6 IR, no need for the external receiver.. This is what I have and it works perfect with my harmony one.

PeteT

Post by PeteT » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Thank you for your replys. I had seen the HP RC6 receiver on ebay and wondered if it would work the same as the MS one.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Anyone know about the Dells, e.g.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Dimension- ... 0129042556

The receiver looks just like the Microsoft one, but functionally, who knows. I waited until a genuine Microsoft receiver became available, but I've been wondering about the Dell version, which is far more plentiful. I've had bad experience with non-Microsoft receivers, which is why I was patient when I wanted to get a receiver for another PC. In particular, the Microsoft receivers have an incredibly wide field of view, and they work perfectly with my Sony universal remote.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:41 pm

As long as it's an RC6 Receiver it should work perfectly with MC, as that is what Microsoft's receiver is. Any of the Dell or HP RC6 receivers work extremely well. That link you posted doesn't state it's RC6.. I would look for one that states it's specifically RC6.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:22 pm

newfiend wrote:As long as it's an RC6 Receiver it should work perfectly with MC, as that is what Microsoft's receiver is. Any of the Dell or HP RC6 receivers work extremely well. That link you posted doesn't state it's RC6.. I would look for one that states it's specifically RC6.
Neither of my Microsoft 1.0a receivers has the RC6 designation anywhere in their labeling; I've only ever seen it on the back of remotes. IR receivers aren't all created equal, and they vary in the ways I gave in my last message. For example, the ones provided in "Windows Media Center Kits" by companies like Pinnacle and Hauppage with RC6-labeled remotes have been complete junk in my experience. FWIW, here's a link to an auction where you can see the RC6 on the back of the Dell remote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Media-Cent ... 0860076681

For a long but still incomplete RC6 and non-RC6 remote control/receiver bestiary, see:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Re ... ol_Reviews

Though it's for XBMC, the RC6 remotes are their gold standard for Windows PCs. They mention the Dell remote there, but not the receiver, alas.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Your correct on receivers.. They can be different. For instance I bought a Media Center remote control off Newegg that supposedly came with a receiver compatible with WMC (Vista/7). When I hooked it up some of the remote commands wouldn't work correctly. I ended up just using the built in IR in my case. (long story, but I was new to MC and didn't know I didn't need the IR that came with my remote. And yes I disabled the built in IR first :D )
But long story short it was junk. From the Old GB site everyone always told me to look for the RC6 IR's (HP), that they worked the best. I have suggested to others to use the HP receivers and everyone has had good luck with them reporting back to me.
The Dell I am not so sure on, but since they are selling a Machine to their customers with specific use for WMC I would think their Remotes and Receivers should be RC6 compliant as well. (Otherwise their customers would complain about incompatability issues and the remotes not working as their supposed too.)
Really the only way to tell is to get one and try it. But I would think it should work if it's an Actual Dell Product and not some fake knock off. I know for a fact that the HP ones do work correctly if they are RC6.
On a side note I do have the Dell Branded Gyration remote but it's not IR but RF.. but it works great with MC, but has no volume punch through, best remote I have found for MC has been my Harmony One along with the Lenovo N5902.
newfiend~

PeteT

Post by PeteT » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 am

I have managed to get an original Microsoft receiver and remote from a colleague who doesn't use it anymore :D

Thank you for your advice

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am

My experience also shows that the HP works great, and that the Dell is junk. My Dell would occasionally just stop responding, for no reason. The only way to reset it was to unplug it and plug it in to a completely different USB port. I finally junked it and went with the HP I had, and no problems since.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:46 pm

adam1991 wrote:My experience also shows that the HP works great, and that the Dell is junk. My Dell would occasionally just stop responding, for no reason. The only way to reset it was to unplug it and plug it in to a completely different USB port. I finally junked it and went with the HP I had, and no problems since.
Thanks for the note. I have two genuine Microsoft receivers, but if I ever need another one, I'll consider HP.