7MC extenders will not play AVI files

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
hhhjr

HTPC Specs: Show details

7MC extenders will not play AVI files

Post by hhhjr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Hello, I have a issue with my DMA2200 and my HP-X280n. when I try to play a avi file it says buffering, then after a delay of about 30 seconds it starts to play, but there is no audio, then about 60 seconds the video starts to play at the rate of like 1 fps. then the audio starts and it is like .5 seconds of audio and 2 seconds of silence. the crazy thing is that I have 2 xbox 360's that play fine. I have tried un-installing all the unnecessary codecs, but I cant get it to work properly. I had the extenders before I had the x-boxes, and I am pretty sure at one time it did work. Any suggestions? Thanks hhhjr

goobs

Post by goobs » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Are you using a wireless or wired network connection and what speed ?
Try opening the AVI file on your PC with something like VLC, pause the playback and look at Tools, Codec Info. What video codec it is using ?
I've been lurking most of the WMC forums and it is often mentioned that certain routers or network switches can cause problems and especially if they are gigabit.
I use a Netgear GS108 Pro and have no stuttering issues.
Try plugging in another switch or enable flow control on your PCs NIC config.

hhhjr

Post by hhhjr » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:38 am

I have the same switch you have. I do not think it is a network issues as my hd tuner works fine. I can also open the avi files on the hp media extender( non media center mode ) and they play fine. It is not a stuttering thing. It is the complete loss of audio, until the stream starts getting choppy. then I hear little bits of audio with the frames. I thought it was a codec issue, but I re installed the codecs. I am going to reformat another machine and see if they can play from it. Thanks for the reply.