When is Ceton going to fix the macroblocking issue?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mcewinter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:13 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Good point about the other thread. I just wanted to be sure that people know that I'm having a similar issue on the HDHRP.

I can't remember... do you have the Ceton or the HDHRP?
HDHR (x2) & HDHRP

I am curious if network throttling has an effect on the InfiniTV as it is a netwrok device.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:53 pm

mcewinter wrote:I am curious if network throttling has an effect on the InfiniTV as it is a netwrok device.
I am thinking the same thing. I also am thinking about what settings are available on the InfiniTV in the Control Panel. Since Windows sees it as a network adapter, there must be some settings for that adapter... just like my NIC. I wonder if it has settings for "Interrupt moderation" and other settings mentioned in the FAQ on Network Packet Loss on the SD website.

I copied my post above to my other thread (and also added an extra paragraph). Like I wrote earlier, I'll get back to testing it by this weekend.

Maybe by next weekend (April 28-29), I'll get another CableCARD and Tuning Adapter to test with. That way, I can swap things around without calling the cable company. At worst, I'll pay for a month's rental on the CC.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:05 am

Saw the issue when using my cable box tonight. Saw both the blocking issue and the loss of Audio.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:57 am

It appears that my issue is related to my video card... not the tuner. Both the Ceton AND the HDHRP have the issue. However, the problem does NOT happen on an extender. Please see the post at the link below:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 134#p17126

NCoastTweaker

Post by NCoastTweaker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Scallica wrote:Can anyone confirm if the issue occurs with the InfiniTV USB?
I have the USB version and I have the macroblocking problem..

Beradon

Post by Beradon » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Something I dont know if I've seen in this thread, although I dont recall off hand...

I see the macroblocking with the Xbox 360 extender as well, not just on the HTPC itself.

WhatHappend

Post by WhatHappend » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Beradon wrote:Something I dont know if I've seen in this thread, although I dont recall off hand...

I see the macroblocking with the Xbox 360 extender as well, not just on the HTPC itself.
same here.

I have always carefully made sure I had macro-blocking on any computer and extender at the same point in the play back to rule out any video card/computer play back issue.

I also paid for a cable company DVR for over 1 year and recorded shows on both HTPC and Cable DVR and when issues would occur I would make sure that the cable DVR had no issue at the same spot in the recorded program.

I was surprised and skeptical by the high rate of this happening here by barnabas1969 and others. For me, the issue happens about 4 times an hour worst case.

btracy

Post by btracy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:51 am

I get the same macro-blocking no matter if it is played back on the HTPC, the extender or if it is live TV to my extender. As for the frequency, I have seen more than 4 times an hour but also vastly less depending on the day/number of recordings going on at once. In the last month, I would say I see it twice an hour at most but about 4 weeks ago, I was in the 5 or 6 or 7 an hour range. Of course, I was recording a lot more shows at once 4 weeks ago than I am now. The interesting part is if I am recording 4 shows and 3 are copy free it is only the copy once recording that I see the issue on. I can count on two hands the number of times I have seen the same line in a copy free recording but it does exist although incredibly rare.

Beradon

Post by Beradon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:45 am

Mine is a lot more frequent than a few times an hour.

I'd say its close to 1-2 times every 3-5 minutes, possibly even more frequent.

It doesnt necessarily bother me, the benefits of me having the Ceton far outweigh that of having the TWC cable box, but its just that its happening and apparently there is nothing to be done about it.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:32 am

Mine is probably 10-20 times an hour. Definately frequent.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:28 am

Grinch, do you see it on extenders too?

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Yes, I see it on my extenders as well.

NCoastTweaker

Post by NCoastTweaker » Mon May 07, 2012 9:36 pm

I have the InfiniTV 4 USB (build 4881 / fw 1.1.0.14) and have the macroblocking issue on the HTPC. I can record them and play them back on the HTPC and get the macroblock at the same place.. but when the same .wtv is played on an HP DMA2200 extender... no macroblocking..

I don't watch alot of tv on the extender... (its primarily for the WAF) but I have not seen a single instance of the macroblocking.. I showed an example to the WAF and asked that she tell me if it happens on her media extender.. so far... nothin.. My kids were using their xbox as an extender too.. but I had to use it wired instead of wireless on HD streams. Never watched tv on xbox extender enough to know if its got the macroblock or not.. So how come you guys see it on your extenders and I don't?

WhatHappend

Post by WhatHappend » Mon May 07, 2012 10:11 pm

What you are seeing on your HTPC is a video playback issue if it doesn't show on extenders. You will need to change video card (GPU), video driver, or Codec on your HTPC to resolve it.
If you have other PC in the house and recorded content that exhibits the issue that is Copy Freely, you can play that content on the other PC to help get an idea of what you need to do to fix the HTPC. Basically if you have a PC with out the glitch, you can setup your HTPC using that same GPU/driver/codec. FYI - I have the Intel CoreI3 Clarkdale integrated video and that seems to match the video output of the XBOX360 extender.

Just cause something looks the same (has the same symptoms) doesn't mean it is the same root issue.

NCoastTweaker

Post by NCoastTweaker » Mon May 07, 2012 11:11 pm

WhatHappend wrote: You will need to change video card (GPU), video driver, or Codec on your HTPC to resolve it.

If I get to that point, I will purchase echo extenders and stop playing tv thru the HTPC to get around the macroblock issue. At first it was fun messing around with all the glitchy stuff and getting it to work.. But after awhile the issues start to get annoying.. and then you find yourself spending an hour in front of the pc trying to get a recording or tv channel to play back after you've been working all day.. and then its just a flat out PITA!

Some other users on TGB said they got their macroblocking fixed by the cable co.. but they can't say what specifically was done.
(only that a cableguy came out on a truck roll, called the main office, escalated.. then whammo.. problem fixed.. )

I will hold out for the cable co rather than blowing more $$$ and endless hours chasing this. (plus the existing video card is an XFX HD6870 ref)so it wasnt that cheap.) The ceton is soo close to being ready for the family use. just the macroblock and subscript unavail on Copy Protection NONE channels and an occational (one every few weeks) tuner not avail.. I record alot so the ceton has to work reliablly and so far its doing a pretty good job.. 98% but now that I've bumped the line levels up a little.. maybe its fixed for good.. (uh oh.. hope I didn't jinx it now)

I won't be replacing the video card.. I'm not giving up, but I'm no longer willing to provide excessive R&D time or additional hardware expenditures either. I want the twc and ceton support groups to do their job and help me to find a solution. So far they've been collecting
my info and I've only had the ticket open for a few days with TWC and CETON.. I'm hoping they can deliver a solution soon.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:32 pm

has there been any updates on this issue? My wife and I am starting to notice it more and more.

should I open a ticket with Ceton?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:44 pm

TBH, I don't think fixing this issue is at the top of the priority list...

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:14 pm

I had an issue with my USB unit recently..Ceton sent me an updated firmware.. They are working on newer firmware for the Ceton tuners .. It's anyone's guess though when that may be ready but in the email to me they said they are working on updates that help with reliability and stability.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:06 pm

richard1980 wrote:TBH, I don't think fixing this issue is at the top of the priority list...
True, but I would be shocked if they aren't spending some cycles trying to determine the root cause and issuing a fix, if the problem is actually with the InfiniTV.
newfiend wrote:I had an issue with my USB unit recently..Ceton sent me an updated firmware.. They are working on newer firmware for the Ceton tuners .. It's anyone's guess though when that may be ready but in the email to me they said they are working on updates that help with reliability and stability.
I guess I will open a ticket with them today once I start watching TV.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Regards this particular issue, barnabas did discover that the macro blocking issue remained (albeit with less intensity) when he swapped out the InfiniTV with a HDHR Prime.
The issue does not appear to be confined to the InfiniTV alone.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123