Ceton MegaQ sneak peak

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
erkotz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton MegaQ sneak peak

Post by erkotz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:00 am

Thought you guys might like to see our newest blog entry at http://cetoncorp.com/blog/sneak-peek-the-ceton-megaq/
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:16 am

yeah baby. Bring it on.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:15 pm

Drool. I'm afraid to ask what the price is.

Edit: Happy April First to you too, Eric!
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:46 pm

erkotz wrote:Thought you guys might like to see our newest blog entry at http://cetoncorp.com/blog/sneak-peek-the-ceton-megaq/
What day is it again?

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:32 pm

I have one in testing!
Love it.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:40 pm

It's better than Google's autonomous race car partnership with NASCAR.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:14 am

isn't this MegaQ just what Eric has at home?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:38 am

carljanderson wrote:isn't this MegaQ just what Eric has at home?
:D
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:54 pm

As several of you guessed, this was indeed an April Fools' Day joke, however, the picture is of a real Ceton product - see the follow-up blog at http://cetoncorp.com/blog/what-is-ceton-ucrypt/

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 am

bah. So it doesn't exist--for now.

WE know what goes on in your minds...

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 am

erkotz wrote:As several of you guessed, this was indeed an April Fools' Day joke, however, the picture is of a real Ceton product - see the follow-up blog at http://cetoncorp.com/blog/what-is-ceton-ucrypt/
Very nice. That's what i was thinking- it would be a useful product for bulk tv distribution. Do you have any examples of hotels that utlize this technology?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Glitchy

Post by Glitchy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 am

makryger wrote:
erkotz wrote:As several of you guessed, this was indeed an April Fools' Day joke, however, the picture is of a real Ceton product - see the follow-up blog at http://cetoncorp.com/blog/what-is-ceton-ucrypt/
Very nice. That's what i was thinking- it would be a useful product for bulk tv distribution. Do you have any examples of hotels that utlize this technology?

I actually like the concept (scalable) for those of us with a AV rack (minus the storage). I have a "TeraByter" Server for storage, but I would love a 2u or 3u box with the Q , and then add "Cards" with HDMI for "Echos". One box with all the workin's. "Q" plus 2 "Echos", oh yea, need to add one, not a problem!

Jeff

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:37 am

makryger wrote:
I don't have a specific hotel offhand (and even if we did, I'm not certain I could share that), but if you have ever seen premium HD in a hotel, they are most likely using our product - I believe we are the only "bulk" solution on the market, and the other solutions use what is generically termed a "Rack of Stuff" where you literally would have a rack with 60 STBs to tune the channel, then 60 MPEG encoders and 60 QAM modulators. It gets bulky and expensive real quick to do it any other way.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:26 am

So in other words, it really is a "mega Q"--only not for sale by Ceton to end users.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:24 pm

adam1991 wrote:So in other words, it really is a "mega Q"--only not for sale by Ceton to end users.
Sort of. UCrypt does not have any sort of DVR functionality - it is just a real-time transcoding device.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Erkotz,

How long have the UCrypt devices (with Ceton technology) been in service in the field?

The reason I ask is because you wrote "if you have ever seen premium HD in a hotel, they are most likely using our product". That would suggest that Ceton has had the CableCARD tuners for a long time. It doesn't seem possible that Ceton/ATX have replaced the "racks of stuff" in most hotels in the country in just the last year or two.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:57 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Erkotz,

How long have the UCrypt devices (with Ceton technology) been in service in the field?

The reason I ask is because you wrote "if you have ever seen premium HD in a hotel, they are most likely using our product". That would suggest that Ceton has had the CableCARD tuners for a long time. It doesn't seem possible that Ceton/ATX have replaced the "racks of stuff" in most hotels in the country in just the last year or two.
I believe they have been out a bit over 2 years, though the older units I believe were limited to 24 channels.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:06 pm

erkotz wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:Erkotz,

I believe they have been out a bit over 2 years, though the older units I believe were limited to 24 channels.
Well, it's a great idea and I'm sure hotels will adopt it over time as they need to replace the old stuff (or if they can be convinced that the expense of upgrading will be reclaimed by energy savings).

This topic and the link you provided (and the links it leads to) answered the question I always had in my mind... which was why hotels never have more than a dozen or so channels... and they never match the local cable lineup.

I wish you folks at Ceton great success and I'm glad to see that you're branching out (tuners, DVR's, extenders, commercial solutions) because this will help keep your business growing.

Now, how about that macroblocking issue? If I could get that fixed, my setup would be just about perfect. The only thing I would want then would be four Echo extenders to replace my current extenders.