Echo features for InfiniTV users?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo features for InfiniTV users?

Post by makryger » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Looks like Ceton has been updating their website. In the past, Ceton has said that there will be some special Echo features only available if you have the Ceton Q. Perhaps I am reading into this statement too much, but maybe they have decided to give us InfiniTV tuners access to some of the special Echo functionality too:
"Together with a Ceton "Q" entertainment gateway, or a Windows 7 media center PC with an InfiniTV digital cable tuner, Ceton Echo brings TV, DVR and digital entertainment services and your personal media libraries to any room in your home, while eliminating cable set-top boxes and their accompanying lease fees and DVR "taxes"."
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:40 pm

Sounds to me like they are just describing the functions of a regular extender, with the Q or a Windows 7 PC (with a ceton infiniTV tuner) your able to watch and DVR TV.. Plus have access to your music, pictures..etc.. Same functionality as a dma-2100.. That info has been up for a few weeks I think. I saw it a few weeks back as well if memory serves.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:00 am

Then why would they specifically say "your media center pc with infinitv card"?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:05 am

They did talk the same lingo when first promo'd. I 'think' it's referring to the innards having an InfiniTV, nothing more.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:11 am

makryger wrote:Then why would they specifically say "your media center pc with infinitv card"?
It's marketing. They don't want to say "your media center PC" with just any tuner. If you have a PC, they want you to buy the InfiniTV instead of some other tuner.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:17 am

It looks on the surface like they're going to give the Echo "special" features when connected to a Ceton-equipped Windows 7 box.

On the other hand, it could just be marketing claptrap. Have you ever looked at the recipes on the back of packages of name-brand food items? They'll tell you to use other ingredients from that same name brand. They won't tell you NOT to, but they will specify their brand of other ingredients.

It's all just a suggestion, as long as they have your attention.

I see Ceton has been busy. The Q will include a Blu-ray Disc player. Nice. I see the verbiage in the press release mentions only "multi tuner," which kinda leaves the door open for them to offer it maybe as a four or a six tuner device. I don't know why they wouldn't offer four streams as an option for people who want to save a couple of bucks.

And yes, the Echo supports browsing the web. Oh, wait:
Ceton "Echo" allows you to stream media from a Ceton "Q" entertainment gateway or a Windows® 7-based PC to both high-definition and standard-definition TV sets over your home network.
That's the *first* paragraph that talks about streaming from a Q or Win7 box. This makes it sound like it's just an extender.

Well, we'll see. Depending on price and feature set, I'm ready to consider dumping my 7MC/XBoxen setup for a Q and a couple of Echoes. I dunno why, other than to get that extra bit of appliance-like behavior as well as have a new toy to play with. But by God, I am addicted to commercial skip, which may queer the whole deal.